Ancient-Flame Patina Aspron Trachy s.1183-1185 AD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I received this coin in the mail from a trade concluded with Ski. I am super thrilled. The coin is absolutely beautiful.It has a real nice "flame" patina. The flames seem to accent the Virgin Mary hold the head of infant Jesus on the obverse.
    The reverse has a slight die shift and some flatness on Jesus hold gospels (right figure), but the coin is "better" than 90% out there.
    The coin is a usual scyphate billon trachy of the 12th century Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Empire, although the coin and ruler are both rather scarce. There was hoard of some 2000 pieces found a while back. So it maybe a "common" coin for time being but that will surely change as the supply dries up. Right?
    The irregular flan and the great patina add to the high visual appeal of the coin in hand and I am very pleased.

Byzantine Empire
    Andronicus I Comnenus (b.1118-d.1185 AD)
    Billon Aspron Trachy (s.1183-1185 AD)
    32 mm x 29 mm x 3.48 g
    Constantinople Mint
    obv. MTP-QV across fields, Mary standing facing on dais, nimbate, holding before her the nimbate head of the infant Christ.
    rev.ANDPONIKOC DECPOTHC, IC XC across fields, Andronicus, crowned, with forked beard, standing on the left, wearing loros (no sagion/short cloak), holding labarum and cross on globe, being crowned by Christ, holding book of gospels in left hand.
    ref:Sear Byzantine #1985
    AndronicusIComnenus 1183-1185ADS1985.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I dont know much about the coin but it does look awesome!!!

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that fire patina is great, it looks like jesus is getting ready to kick some butt....

WWE-The-Rock-Fire-Wallpaper-500x311.jpg

"moneylenders...can you smell what jesus is cookin'?"

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats really cool. Never seen that before.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, A-Noobenheimer => that coin is out-standing!!!

=> FLAME-ON, BROTHER!!!

:u*meY:

Draft saved Draft deleted