Ancient Extremely Old Square Asian Coin? Help Please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Fleshgrl02, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Is this Chinese, and is this a coin? What is this? DSC08169.JPG DSC08170.JPG

Ancientnoob and Ripley like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Its a Japanese 1 Bu (Ichibu) silver coin. 1859-1868

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

5. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

The only thing is that this coin is not silver.

6. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Are you sure it's not heavily tarnished silver?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Looks like it could be heavily tarnished silver, with a cupric deposit on it.;)

Hardly ancient, more like antique...:p

8. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

I don't collect Japanese coins but all the specimens of the ichi bu gin coins that I have seen over the years have had a different reverse side.

The reverse side usually indicates the name of the mint and a character guaranteeing the fineness.

This coin has the same inscription on both the obverse and reverse sides.

Can anyone confirm that there are authentic coins with a double obverse?

Gary

harleytater likes this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I agree with you, I have a small collection of ichi bu coins also, and this doesn't look like them - notice the counterstamp is not present. It is probably not too likely, but this could be a provincial issue in bronze - indeed they were made but they are rather scarcish. This piece appears to be cast also, which suggest that form of manufacture was used for this piece.

10. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Yes, I am positive this is not silver

11. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Thanks to all for your help on this.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'll look in my older Krause catalogue in the morrow to see if I can find any "1" denomination - like a rin or sen for a provincial coinage. During the Shogunate era coinage in Japan was not as centralised - especially for lower value coins. There is another member who has apparently not yet seen this thread that might be able to fill in some details - since he could be able to read more on it than I can read the numeral "1".

13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It does not look genuine to me to be honest. Fonts just doesn't look right. Will look up a reference when I get around to it.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Thanks GX - I knew you were the guy I had in mind about being the one in the know.

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Thanks scottishmoney - looks like I'll have to put more than a couple of cents in this.

Here's an example over at ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Old-c...3343624?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item338452b008

As you can tell, the flora pattern on what's shown here just seems to be rather crude. This particular type of coin actually has filed edges for security measure as well as a counterstamp to ensure that the coin has been checked.

Note that this particular type of coin was struck in various alloys - from 80% silver up to 99% (!) silver if I am not mistaken. This can only be determined by the strokes which is just too difficult to explain without illustrations.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

"Gin" - that was the denomination I forgot!:mad:

17. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Thank you kindly for all the information.

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One that actually belongs to my daughter:

[​IMG]

Windchild and Ripley like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted