Ancient => ERIC-II's Comparative Rarity Table

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Apr 5, 2014.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

magic and goofiness?! that's my jam!

this was how me and my hommies rolled in '86...

[​IMG]

the vikings show is on my "to watch" list.

here's my highest on the list, number 78 julia maesa..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zumbly, Derick, vlaha and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Anything over rank 100 starts to get kind of expensive as I've been finding out myself. That's a nice Julia Maesa coin. I have one of her as well.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

And I watch "Once Upon a Time", which is just that. I also watch netflix and so on but not so much for tv, movies.

5. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

As it is with most of these HBO mini-series. If you try and just jump in on a random episode of Game of Thrones you'll be absolutely lost. You need to watch a whole season, and preferably season I to understand what's going on.

That being said, the HBO type mini-series are about the only TV I can choke down. They usually involve characters with some depth and an actual plot line. Besides the occasional History Channel program and certain sports.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Pawn Stars?:p:D

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I know there is no way that this thread can be redirected to numismatic subjects and I will be in TV mode at 9 tonight, I do have a coin question. What is the oldest coin showing a dragon (with or without Emelia Clark). Are there any pre modern European dragons or dragons shown other than being killed? I know there are plenty of Asian moderns and St.George slaying but when did dragons first appear?

stevex6 likes this.
  8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I've only watched like half of one Game 0f Thrones episode. I didn't find it interesting and haven't watched it since (plus I dont have HBO). The midget seems funny though.

Spartacus on the other hand, IMO a very good show. Right mix of dialogue, action, and suspense. Its historical accuracy was brought up, and I'm fine with the one or two liberties taken here and there. To me it really looks and feels like the era. I think they got it pretty close. If I'm expecting 100% historical accuracy, I'll go watch a documentary.

I kind of disagree there. Sure, while it still was good, the second season took a bit of a dip in awesomeness. But IMO it picked back up in season 3. Definitely my favorite season along with the first.

That I agree on.
    I really enjoy Vikings also. Cool characters, setting, everything. History should put more money making shows like that instead of shows about aliens, loggers, and moonshiners.

9. ValiantKnight

That being said, I'm currently have on hold Spartacus season 3 from the library. Waited like a month and a half and I started as 60-something in queue for it. Now down to 2 and the wait was killing me lol. Glad it won't be much longer until I'll be able to watch it again.

10. ValiantKnight

Thanks for the recognition, gil. I was actually surprised I was that close with my Verina. Its in horrible shape but I still like it for what it is, plus I might have won with it according to steve's new rules :D:
    My Verina is what I like to call a "VK coin" :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    stevex6 likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> wow chrsmat, you and your hommies must have spent a few afternoons stuck inside lockers and/or hanging from your gitch, eh? (awesome photo)

;)

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree that the best way of wasting a weekend is to snuggle in the sack with your gal and burn-through an entire season or two in a marathon-session!! .... yah, I'm pretty sure that many of you would consider this an amazing waste of a perfectly good weekend, but sometimes deciding to nothing ends-up being a pretty good fricken time!!

=> Yup, if idle hands are the devil's workshop, then I already spend a great deal of my time in hell!!

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ancient Dragon-coins .......... Doug is correct ... somehow we must swerve and get back onto some high-brow numismatic discussion

=> hey look over there ... something shiny (mmmm, shiny)

snap out of it, man!! .... first one to find anything even close to an ancient dragon-coin "wins"

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this is kind of a dragon (a "serpent"), early 15th century Milan..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eng, zumbly, RaceBannon and 4 others like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

LOL! I thought that really was you at the head of the table until I saw the image URL. The guy does look a bit like your CCF pic, minus ~30 years :D

I don't recall seeing any Greek or Roman dragons but a quick google turned up some interesting stuff about Constantine's imagery. Per occasional CT poster Victor Clark's master's thesis, Constantine often referred to dragons/serpents as the personification of evil, so perhaps the odd-looking bearded serpents on some of his coins can be viewed as dragons.

16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

If you like insane weirdness then watch Doctor Who, otherwise...:confused:

17. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Hmm, anyone watch Grim?

stevex6 likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have to a stickler for details (not really true, it is a hobby) but I am not questioning snakes or legless lizards here. I want a European style dragon of the version cast on GOT or even 'How to Train you Dragon'. It must, like the one found under St. George on modern UK coins, have legs and a serpentine neck. Fire breathing would be nice.
    [​IMG]

Eng and stevex6 like this.
  19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, have been watching it since the first episode. Love it. But being its from the same people as Buffy & Angel it isnt surprising I like it. Loved both those shows too.

20. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Wow, what a nice write-up. Although I might not agree with everything, it is really exceptional. Thank you for sharing the link.

I'm hoping to see some Ancient Roman dragons, too. I know the griffin was not unheard of (not my coin):

Griffin A.jpg

L. Papius, Rome, 79 BC. AR Serrate Denarius (18mm, 3.38g, 6h). Head of Juno Sospita r., wearing goat's skin; lantern behind. R/ Griffin springing r.; tongs to r. Crawford 384/1 (symbols 68); RSC Papia 1

I think some images are very loosely called "dragons" (not my coin):
    dragon A.jpg

Asia Minor, uncertain mint. AR Obol.
    Asia Minor, uncertain mint. AR Obol. 5th C. BC. Elements of Chimaera: foreparts of lion, stag, and dragon(?), joined together at centre and radiating outward / Facing gorgoneion within incuse square. Unpublished in the standard references, cf. CNG sale 85, 447. 0.68g, 8mm,

I don't think either of these would be considered a dragon, however.

I would be interested, nevertheless, to see a good Ancient dragon, especially a Roman one.

Thank you, again, for the link,

guy

Addendum: Remember, griffins aren't dragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    TIF, Gil-galad, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

How about this...

ITALY, Milan. Barnabo Visconti, 1354-1385 AD. AR Pegione (2.47 gm). Closed Helmet crested with a dragon swollowing a maidan / Biscia. B.1464. N&V.88.

dragon.jpg

(Not my coin.)

stevex6, zumbly and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted