Ancient Coinundrum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Sorry for the poor play on words but I need help IDing the coin on the left (when I bought it the only identifier said "countermarked"). It appears to me to possibly be Apollo with some kind of wheat leaf or arrow countermark, no idea where from. And I don't know who on the back. And the item on the right apparently isn't even a coin as it was list as a "Hellenistic era theatre ticket". So sorry for posting it here (but where the heck else was I gonna get advice on what that means and what this thing might be??). It has what appears to be a horned bearded male stamped on it, so I'm thinking Serapis. Does anyone have any of these or know about them? As always, thanks in advance for the help and knowledge shared...oh and Merry Christmas eve!!! 20171224_172657-COLLAGE.jpg

ominus1, Ajax, LaCointessa and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's from a Seleukid king... Antiochos IX? Not my forte but if not him, one of those Antiochos guys.

Check Vcoins and CNG's archives; you'll find many. Here's one currently on Vcoins, listed by Forum Ancient Coins:

[​IMG]

Seleukid Kingdom, Antiochus IX Cyzicenus, 114 - 95 B.C.

GY78038. Bronze AE 23, Houghton-Lorber II 2352a; Houghton CSE 498; SNG Spaer 2725; Babelon Rois 1484; BMC Seleucids p. 93, 22; HGC 9 1246 (S-R1), F, green patina, centered on tight flan, porous, 9.176g, 22.5mm, 0o, Tarsos (Tarsus, Mersin, Turkey) mint, diademed head of Antiochus IX right, short curly beard, bevelled edge; reverse Dionysos standing left, kantharos in extended right, thyrsus vertical in left hand, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ in two downward lines on right, ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ downward on left, E outer left high, NK monogram outer left center; from the Butte College Foundation, ex Lindgren

After Antiochus IX's father died, his uncle Demetrius II Nicator took the throne. For his safety, his mother, Cleopatra Thea, sent him to Cyzicus (leading to his nickname). He returned to Syria in 116 B.C. to claim the throne from his half-brother Antiochus VIII Grypus, with whom he eventually divided Syria. He was killed in battle by the son of Grypus, Seleucus VI Epiphanes.

(from the listing)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    ominus1, randygeki, Ajax and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nicholas Molinari, ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  6. Ryro

LaCointessa likes this.
  7. Ryro

Shucks, that's food for thought. Thanks TIF. Mine has a slight hole on the side. I may have to reach out too Ardatirion and ask if they will take a look at this and tell me w what their opinion is on mine. Thanks again. I would rather know it's a fake then live in delusion. Here is a pic of the side. 20171224_182503.jpg

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It may be perfectly fine-- I don't know. Fingers crossed for you :)

Ryro likes this.
  9. Ryro

Ps, thanks for posting that link to the v coins sale. That coin is a dead ringer. And when I searched wild winds they had a bunch of the same type! Now if I can just figure out where the countermark is from my riddle will be solved...

10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Heeeyy! @Ryro! Wait a cotton pickin' minute. If you think "coinundrum" was corny and not very punny, then...let's see, that would also mean. . . :confused: :( :eek:;)

Ryro and Theodosius like this.
  11. Ryro

I'm a sucker for a good pun LaCointessa, :cigar::woot:haha. Ryro is an attempted pun on chi rho...but I don't think many get it as it's a bit of a stretch:facepalm:

Theodosius, ominus1 and LaCointessa like this.
  12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

@Ryro - just saw your message and made my way over here. @TIF 's comment above still represents my thoughts on the topic. Its a match, and I personally believe all of the ones on the market now are questionable.

Nicholas Molinari and Ryro like this.
  13. Ryro

Sad to hear but good to know. I appreciate your expertise.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I suspected you were speaking Scooby :D. Correct?

CT-ScoobySpeak-Ryro.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Shucks, I didn't get it, but hey, with Scooby speak, I do.

Ryro and TIF like this.
  16. Ryro

View attachment 727416 [/QUOTE]
    Wow! Well played TIF (slow clap building in the background). Definitely having my soldiers get this emblazoned on their shields(the picture of Scoob saying Ryro. Not that other silly image, which doesn't appear to mean much of anything). #Ryanstantine

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  17. Ryro

Yeah, so if I was a more intelligent guy I would have gone all in with Rhi-Rho. But to quote one of my many intellectual superiors, (in my worst Alabama accent) "I'm not a smart man".

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted