WTB: Ancient Coins with Biblical Ties

Discussion in 'Want Lists' started by Matthew Kruse, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Hello CT,

I am looking to buy or trade for ancient coins with biblical ties. I have a small list below and the biblical story behind them. I don't really want to buy them on eBay and would rather get them from one of my fellow CT members. :)

Silver Denarius - The Gospel says it was a days wage for a common laborer. In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, a Samaritan Traveler stops to help an injured man that others ignored. He gave an innkeeper two of these coins to care for the man until he came back. I enjoy this parable a lot, always treat others like you want to be treated.

Widows Mite - "He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, 'Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood."

Tyrian Shekel - These are the coins used to pay Judas when he betrayed Jesus. This was also a coin that was used to pay taxes.

If you have any other inexpensive biblical coins, I wouldn't mind trading/buying them either.

Thank you!