Ancient Coins - Social Media platforms?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

The most popular social media platforms in 2021 (according to Google) are:

1. Facebook
    2. Instagram
    3. Twitter
    4. TikTok
    5. YouTube
    6. WeChat
    7. WhatsApp
    8. MeWe
    9. Tumbler
    10. Reddit
    11. LinkedIn
    12. Snapchat
    13. Pintrest
    14. Telegram
    15. Meetup
    16. Medium
    17. Twitter Live
    18. Twitch
    19. Discord
    20. Steemit

I am familiar with a few of these and have heard of maybe half of them (?!). I know there are quite a few Ancient Coin groups on Facebook, I follow some ancient history related people on Twitter and have browsed the Reddit Ancient Coin subreddit a few times... but I do not think I really know enough to get the most out of even these platforms.

Just wondering if any members have experience with any of these? Are there any active communities discussing ancient coins or even sales, trading sites?
    Just curious if there is anything out there that I am missing.

I could ask my teenage daughters but I don't think I could stand one more "eye roll" today.. :inpain::stop:

Johndakerftw, Kentucky, sand and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know very little about social media sites. I'm being very stubborn in my old age and just refuse to go along with the younger, more hip crowd (although many in my generation seem addicted).

Kentucky, sand, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.other than Pinterest every once a week or so, Cointalk is the only site i frequent ..and that's social enough for me :D

Ryro and Clavdivs like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

There's an Ancient & Medieval Coins Sales group on Facebook with both well-known and not so well-known dealers, and about 1,000 members. No auctions; people post coins for sale and it's first come, first served. Brad Bowlin is a very active seller there, largely of Seleucid coins. Ken Dorney sells there. The guy from Sphinx sometimes. Alfredo de la Fe, who seems to be familiar to a lot of people. Many sellers I've never heard of who may well simply be collectors selling their coins. The administrators keep strict reins on the place. It's not ebay. There's a companion group for ancient coin discussions, but it's not nearly as active or interesting as CT in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  6. Clavdivs

Yep - I hear ya... I was just wondering if there has been any additional places to discuss coins. The Reddit site is quite good - but doesn't seem as personal as CoinTalk (or as active) - but I have to say I don't know if I'm using it correctly or seeing everything that's going on. Also many people and businesses use Instagram... but I don't know much about it.

serafino likes this.
  7. sand

sand Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread, @Clavdivs. Among the social media platforms in that Google top 20 list in the OP, here are the ones, that I use, plus a couple more.
    1. Facebook : I login to Facebook, maybe once every 2 weeks, to see what family and friends are doing. I would never discuss coins on Facebook, because I like to be anonymous, when I discuss coins.
    2. Twitter : I occasionally login to Twitter, if I want to talk about politics.
    3. Youtube : I watch Youtube videos almost every day. Ancient coins. Science. History. Crypto coins. And many other things. I sometimes wonder, if I should start my own Youtube channel, about ancient coins. But, again, I worry about anonymity. Certainly, many persons on CoinTalk are knowledgeable enough, to start their own Youtube channels, about ancient coins.
    4. Reddit : I sometimes go there, to look at what the crypto coin people are saying. However, I'm not a Reddit member.
    5. Meetup : I hope to participate in some Meetup groups, in the near future. Or start my own Meetup group. However, I would never discuss coins in a Meetup group, because of anonymity reasons.
    6. Coin Forums : It is not in the Google top 20, but I spend more time on CoinTalk, than on any of the above social media platforms, except possibly Youtube. I sometimes spend time on Coin Community Forum and Forum Ancient Coins, but those 2 forums have way less traffic than CoinTalk.
    7. News Web Sites : I don't know if this counts as social media, but I get all of my news, from various news web sites, and Youtube. I also enjoy reading the comments that people say, for the news stories that allow comments.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    ominus1, Clavdivs and serafino like this.
  8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I would add academia.edu. Sort of a LinkedIn for academics but unaffiliated folks can register as independent researchers. Great source for downloadable papers.

A carefully curated Twitter feed is useful. Among the accounts I follow are quite a number of numismatists, archaeologists and historians. Idiots are easily ignored.

Clavdivs likes this.
  9. Clavdivs

Yes I have read some fantastic papers relating to coins I own on academia.edu .. I have never paid for the service (don't use it enough, being a hobby collector) but I guess I gave my email to them at some point in order to download a paper. I was then blasted with endless emails stating that I "was mentioned XX amount of times in recent papers".. trying to get me to subscribe I guess.
    I can guarantee you that I have been mentioned in exactly zero papers on academia.edu. :)

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The main social media I use is Instagram. It has a very active coin collecting community, many are the new generation the hobby needs & this is their way of showing their coins, interacting & even selling. I have bought a few nice greek tetradrachms from instagram folks a month ago.

I post my new coins on it nowadays & not here because I actually get more replies on there than I do on here anymore. How f-en sad is that when CT is what got me into ancients. I don't even have "100 followers" & many I see are in thousands and some hundreds of thousands. It's all about the hastags #

11. Clavdivs

Excellent @Mat .....See that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for... would you be able to share with us old farts how the platform works and any links or hashtags (if these are the correct terms?) to get someone started? I enjoy exploring these kinds of things.. thank you! We may even up your "follower" count....!

sand likes this.
  12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Cool tip! I've requested to join that group!

DonnaML likes this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Clavdivs likes this.
  14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I'm also a member of Fake Roman Coins on Facebook - where people post coins they've purchased to check if they are fake. Often you see poor newbies making mistake after mistake, buying obviously fake stuff at high prices on eBay. There's often some great commentary about ways to detect fakes.

DonnaML and sand like this.
  15. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

There are settings you can use to limit notifications. I've never paid for the premium service and the only emails I receive are links to papers relevant to my area of interest.

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's basically just downloading the app & taking the best picture/s of your coins as you can and of course, a nice description or maybe a brief history of the coin or subject on the coin, and the hashtagging can vary depending on the coin you post

And it's good to search hashtags and see what is popular & used the most.

And frequent posting is probably the most important, which is my fault. I can go a month or sometimes two without posting anything new. The ones with many "followers" post at least 3 times a week, usually more.

Clavdivs likes this.
  17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm a member of the Ancient and Medieval coins group on Facebook, Generally it is folks showing off new acquisitions or interesting coins in their collections. The A & M coins sales group has coins for sale at what seem to be very fair prices. There also is an Ancient Rome and Byzantine history group which also is good.

Clavdivs, Limes and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted