Ancient coins found need help identifying

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gotgoodsman, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Gotgoodsman

Gotgoodsman New Member

can anyone tell me anything about these? I found them in an estate and there was no markings anywhere and it’s hard to make out what’s on the coins. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Man, I don't see ANYTHING that can be used to identify those things. I would say at this point they are just hunks of metal. Perhaps someone may think otherwise though. Good luck.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

There is a very active ancients section here. It may be worthwhile to post your photos there. The ancients guys are a dedicated group and I think most of them pretty much stay in that section.

Gotgoodsman likes this.
  5. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I think I can make out an anchor on the first one, identifying it as a so-called "widow's mite"

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

They're in rough shape, and the flans are pretty ragged. One possibility might be barbarous copies of Romano-Gallic radiates from around 260-275 A.D.

dougsmit and ancient coin hunter like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Culls! I have plenty of these from when I ordered unclean lots (no longer). These are probably too far gone for any real identification. Sorry about that.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Slugs. Often times they show up in uncleaned hoards. I'm afraid these ones are too far gone to be identified. However, you can probably date them to between 260 and 375 A.D. Likely they are late Roman bronze coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted