Ancient Coin Storage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tcore, Jun 15, 2005.

1. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I just started getting interested in Ancient Coins. Specifically, I've started out with some Roman Denarii and a couple of small (AE3/4) bronze common types. I've been reading Wayne Sayles book "Ancient Coin Collecting" and find it to be a great read and introduction to this very interesting world.

From what I gather, ancient coins are quite different from U.S. Coins as to how you can store them. In fact, apparently, many ancient coin collectors like to be able to hold and touch their actual coin :eek: ...pretty much a big no-no in other areas of numismatics. The dealer I've been buying from (who seems to be extremely knowledgeable and has thousands and thousands of ancient coins) recommends that the best method for long term storage is in 2x2 acid-free paper envelopes and then just in a 2x2 cardboard box...making sure to keep the moisture low around them, etc. What do you all think of this methodology? Do any of you ancient collectors use paper envelopes? Pros, Cons? Anything?

Thanks! and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pab

pab New Member

I agree with the advis=ce as this is the way that a lot of museums store their coins. In addition, it is the one way that has a long history (over 100 years) of not causing damage to the stored coins. This is the way I store those coins I have not put into wooden cabinets. (I store my collection in the old fashioned way.)

Regards,

P.

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

AT LAST! A fellow coin cabinet owner! I too practice the old fashioned traditional ways.

As a hammered coin collector i'm not as far down the road as ancients but we do many things similarly. Firstly i don't just like, but i have GOT to be able to hold the coin in my hands. If i can't handle history then what's the point of being in the hobby in the first place?

Us hammered collectors also have to live with the reality of cleaned dug up specimens. Like it or lump it i'm afraid.

Claudius 11 likes this.
  5. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Wow guys! I'm really excited to hear your responses! I was a bit nervous about his advice since I'm new to all of this. Here's another question. Do you guys just use the regular paper 2x2 coin envelopes that are about .03 a piece? At all the places I've looked at these, they don't say that they're "acid free" or anything like that. Is this a problem? How about the "Craft Paper" color as opposed to the White envelopes? Do you think it makes a difference? Also, what of those cardboard 2x2 boxes? Okay or not? I like this coin cabinet idea. Can you tell me more about these?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm just so excited and want to learn all about the Ancient Coin Collecting Hobby!

Thanks all! :)

6. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Well generally i leave all mine in the cabinet. But when i buy coins at coin fairs most dealers usually supply the coin in the white paper envelopes. And we're not just talking ancient/medieval coin dealers here, i've bought 18th century and even 20th century coins in the white envelopes (infact i'd say 90% odf the dealers in these parts use them short term). I generally remove them once i get the home simply because i have no idea whether it's a good quality envelope (acid free etc.) or one of the cheap sulphur containing ones (do avoid those). Although i have stored coins in them short term usually before selling them.

I usually recommend airtites, but with ancients that is problematic because particularly thinking of Greek coins like tetradrachms the relief is often very high and getting airtites thick enough is an issue. Dunno even know if it's possible.

What i do see alot of at coin fairs and in coin shops are the old stackable coin trays. Usually of grey plastic with clear plastic lid, with red velvet lining in each compartments. I know alot of dealers that use them and i know someone that sells them. This i think would be the best place to start.

http://www.predecimal.com/collectors/shop/largertrays.htm

The dealer is based in Germany but he'll sell pretty much anywhere, he can accept US $ as payment too.

Draft saved Draft deleted