WTS: ancient-coin references

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Valentinian, May 20, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have numerous important and interesting ancient-coin references for sale. All were previously priced better than anywhere else and today I reduced many prices substantially, making them an even better deal. Some are listed below, and many more at my site:
    http://augustusmath.hypermart.net/numislit.html

Some collectors just want coins and don't know much about them. If you want major references about them, check out my site.
    Shipping in the US only is $3.50 for one normal-sized book plus 50 cents for each additional book.

Coinage in the Greek World, Carradice and Price. An excellent work by major scholars on Greek coinage and its development. Seaby Books. 164 pages. 16 page plates. Hardcover. New. I think this is a great way to learn about Greek coinage. I love this book. Highly recommended. [$24]

"Money and its uses in the Ancient Greek World" edited by Andrew Meadows and Kirsty Shipton. 9 articles totaling 165 pages plus 19 plates, cardcover, large 10 3/4" by 8 1/2", Oxford University Press, 2001. $79.95 in very good condition on Amazon. Here, nearly new but for a long crease in the lower right of the cover. $59 + $4 shipping media-mail in the US. Reduced to $49 + $4 media-mail shipping.

SNG FRANCE 3. PAMPHYLIE, PISIDIE, LYCAONIE, GALATIE Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum. Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris, 1994, 34 pages, 146 plates each with facing text, tall quarto, red cloth, dust jacket. [Very good, former owner's name on flyleaf, but that's all. Dust jacket very good. $65 + $5 media-mail shipping. A second copy with inked notes on the some of descriptions opposite the plates in the first half of the book. Not bad, but if you hate a marked text, not for you. However, the plates themselves and text are all just fine, and the dustjacket is fine too. $50 + $5 media-mail shipping.]

Monnaie de Tarente, Collection Claudius Cote. Attic book reprint of a famous Ratto catalog devoted to coins ofTarentum. 600 coins of Tarentum illustrated, but not well, plus 42 pages of lot descriptions, in French. paperback [$12.50 used on Amazon, $8 here, reduced to $7]

SNG FRANCE 6 - 1; ITALIE; ETRURIE - CALABRE Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum. Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris, 2003, 91 pages, 141 plates each with facing text, tall quarto, red cloth, dust jacket. [$110 + $6 media-mail shipping]

Testimonia Nummaria, volume 1, by John Melville-Jones. Hardcover. 544 pages. 1993. "most of the ancient texts that might be considered relevant to the study of ancient Greek coinage," in the original Greek (on the left pages) translated into English on the facing pages, nicely categorized. A good reference for casually reading or for scholarly work. What did the Greeks write that concerns coins? Find it here. $218 used on Amazon and abebooks. An excellent copy with only the former owner's name on the in flyleaf, here [$155, reduced to $125]. Volume 2, not offered, but sometimes available, has commentary by Melville-Jones.

Roman Provincial

Kadman, Leo. The Coins of Caesarea Maritima, hardcover. Corpus Nummorum Palaestinensium Volume II. very good condition with good dust jacket. The only copy I could find. The one on Amazon is mine. [$89, reduced to $69]

SNG (Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum) ANS (American Numismatic Society) VI, Palestine-South Arabia. Hardcover. Folio. 1615 coins photographed, covering the Holy Land very well. It should be a $100 book, but they printed too many for the market. Demand is strong, but supply is even greater. Hard to pack it is so big (not thick, but folio! You need a tall shelf!) [$24, including S&H in the US (US only) media-mail.]

Roman Provincial Coinage (massive) volumes I and II (see the site for a description)

Roman Imperial

RIC V, part II, Probus to Amandus, including the British Empire, Diocletian and Maximian (pre-reform) 1968 reprint, Spink and Sons. 3/4 by 6 1/2", 1 3/4" thick. 701 pages and XX plates. Well used but still well bound. [Part II is $250 on Amazon (too high!). $95 reduced to $85 here, reduced to $69. Note: This is only part II of volume V.]

The coinage of Septimius Severus and his family of the Mint of Rome, A.D. 193-217, by Philip V. Hill. Durst reprint. Paperback. 42 pages of chronological listings and 26 coins illustrating bust types for the family members. All types attributed to issues and particular years. Fun for the Severan collector. [This popular booklet has only one copy on Amazon, at $34. Here, only $19]

Catalog: NAC 51 (2009, March 5) 1127 ancient coins. VHV. VHQP. "Featuring the William James Conte collection of Roman sestertii and bronze and silver medallions, part I." 132 RR, 329 RI including 45 of the very highest quality Roman sestertii, 14 Byz, 2 DA gold, 203 G, 119 RR, 308 RI, 20 Byz, 2 DA gold (there are two separate sections with Roman coins) This includes the 460,000+16.5% Swiss frank Caligula sestertius which I think is the best extant sestertius (better than the $2,000,000 Hadrian). [$25, reduced to $17]

SOLD Catalog: M&M Basel (Swizerland). (They sold many major collections in the 1950s and later until they folded in 2004.) Auction # 61 (10/82) 1466 lots of ancients on 72 ppl + 2 E. Divided into two parts. The first part of the catalog is a typical selection of Very High Value Greek and Roman coins. A second part is the Pierre Bastien Collection of late Roman AE. 239 G, 156 Roman Republican, 132 R, 9 spintriae, and then 926 lots of late Roman AE on 32 ppl. (Only tetrarchy and Constantinian family, not Valentinian and later.) All the late Roman AE are in outstanding condition and many lots consist of all the co-emperors of the same issue, although only one per type is usually illustrated. Over 40 of the rare fractional bronze are illustrated. This is the finest sale catalog of late Roman AE ever issued.
    late Roman AE (926 lots) including 40 fractional AE (quinarii) In all the years since 1954 (60 years) there has not been another catalog for tetrarchal AE with quality and quantity even close to this one. This copy is in very good shape, with estimate sheet and PRs. [$79, US media mail included, reduced to $69 SOLD]

Celtic

Catalog: Kunker 243 (2013, Nov. 21) 1364 ancients, including a collection of 497 pre-Roman Celtic, mostly from Gaul, with very many gold of electrum. 170 G, 36 RR, 602 RI, 39 DA [$15, reduced to $12] Spectacular, with many enlargements. pre-Roman Celtic, mostly from Gaul, including very many gold and electrum pieces (497)

Byzantine

Hahn, Wolfgang. Moneta Imperii Byzantini (first edition, in German) volume I, Anastasius - Justinian I (491-565). (There is a newer second edition, but hard to find and expensive when you do. The minimal text is in German, but the pictures are in English :) ). [$59] Compare to this CNG copy that sold for $400 plus fees. The same, but not the same price!

(CNG 75, lot 2175, had all three volumes as one lot with a hammer price of $800!)

Hahn, Wolfgang. Moneta Imperii Byzantini (first edition, in German) volume II, Justin II - revolt of the Heraclii (565-610). (There is a newer second edition, but hard to find and expensive when you do. The minimal text is in German, but the pictures are in English :) ). [$69, reduced to $59]

Dark Ages

Catalog: NAC 25 (2003, June 25) VHV. VHQP. 799 ancients, all pages in color and most coins also englarged in color, including "An important collection of Visigothic coins." Totally spectacular! 207 G, 28 aes grave, 103 RR, 289 RI, 16 Byz, 157 DA (Visigothic) [$25, reduced to $21]

English

Catalog: Sotheby's: 1999, April 22-23 (London) "The Stack Collection. Important Ancient British, Anglo-Saxon, and English hammered coins." 826 lots. Many enlargements. 138 Ancient British, 44 Roman with British reference, 40 Anglo-Saxon Kings, 25 Kings of Northumbria, 5 Archbishops of York, 23 Kings of Kent, 31 Kings of Mercia, 14 Coenwulf, 37 Later Mercian Kings, 35 Viking Danelaw and of Northumbira and of York, 30 Kings of Wessex, 28 Alfred, 17 Edward the Elder, 10 Athelstan, 9 Edmund, 3 Eadwig, 7 Eadgar, 2 Edward the Martyr, 40 Aethelred II, 14 Cnut, 16 sons of Cnut, 47 Edward the Confessor, 8 Harold II, 24 William I, 8 William II, 12 Henry I, 13 Stephan, 5 other, 8 Henry II, 1 Richard I, 12 John, 88 Henry III and later, 18 Hiberno-Norse, 20 Sanadanavia and Denmark. Spectacular! British and English hammered (826) [$29, reduced to $25]

Last edited: May 20, 2016