Ancient Coin Jewelry - Original designed Pendants

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severatus, May 3, 2015.

1. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Hello there ya'll

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on a project that im working on that is nearing a public release.

There is a lot of jewelry out there that is made with authentic ancient coins but, is lacking an overall unity of that most folks with a discerning eye can tell is disjointed.

Modern Jewelry findings ( pendant, rings,settings,bezels ect ) are mass produced & designed to use as little precious metal as possible thus helping to create a larger profit.

If you have seen ancient jewelry, silver rings or gold pendants they are substantial in there design and function.

We are hoping to create something more organic that reflects the nuanced & Archaic aesthetic of ancient coinage that blends well together.

These are heavy, chunky designs hand built & finished by hand, each is unique like the coins they feature.

The right coin - with the proper setting - to Create a feeling that takes you back to when things were made to last through the ages.

For Collectors - Reenactors - for those among us who surround themselves with quality & uniqueness.

If you have a coin that you would want to display feel free to contact us by PM.

IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4702.JPG IMG_4705.JPG IMG_4669.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    stevex6, dlhill132, Eng and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm not certain I like the idea of placing a unique Ancient coin in a setting. Generally, from what I've observed, the coins are marred forever if from nothing else than the constant contact with oil from skin it comes in contact.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What happened to your first post? Was it taken down and if so, won't this one be removed as well? o_O

As I said in the first post, these are definitely the most original settings I've seen. Whether that translates into sales for you... who knows. But they are quite unique and look well-crafted.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Bing, The way we do it we don't alter the coins, no solder, no shaving em down.

They are buffered from the body to a degree, but also have some Ren Wax to keep the surfaces from getting to much gunk on em.

Were trying to stick with more common coins & those with imperfections that most collectors would consider them overly cleaned/ damaged ect.

There not junk but, im not thinking about mounting any decadrachms or super rarities.

The first post was removed I believe because of the my Ebay link,So I removed it.

I know there is a stigma for some collectors when it comes to mounting coins or doing something with them other than setting them in a coin cabinet and staring at them on occasion.

Like slabbing coins for instance... Some collectors consider them entombed and in an altered state of existence

Slabbing to other collectors is a great way to ensure your investment is free of greasy hands -PVC- humidity ect while also somewhat affirming the authenticity of an ancient coin. If the owner drops dead at least the grieving family will know what the heck they have and can find a rough value through simple research.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Severatus, very cool lookin' jewelry, how fitting using a Damascus steel blade as a prop.how long is it.:)

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I also find the compromise of coins for the purpose of making baubles repulsive and would prefer you advertise you crafts in some jewelry publication.

ancientnut likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That is partially correct. Selling, buying, trading, auctions are limited to only the specific forums, which have SPECIFIC rules, so if you use them, read the rules.

This one is being allowed to stay as long as what you said remains true. I did remove the URL, to prevent spamming by bots. If it appears you are bypassing the rules, you will be removed
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-talk-rules.34131/

We have many dealers here as members so to be fair to all, we are strict on these areas.
    Thanks Jim

9. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Thank you! I pleased to hear you dig it! The Sword is 33 inches from pommel to tip - the blade is 25 - So I think it would be a great cavalry sword - Pompeii style but, far longer IMG_4860.JPG

Ancientnoob and Eng like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic work, Severatus!

Severatus and Ancientnoob like this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Sweet, love that steel!!!

Severatus likes this.
  12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Damascus?

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Kinda cool (I like the photos) .... I'm sure that it'll have a real cult following (but apparently not Doug)

;)

Severatus likes this.
  14. Regardless of your stance on putting ancients in jewelry, these definitely are not cheap trinkets as some may have inferred; they look well made on the contrary. Great job.

Severatus, Ancientnoob and TIF like this.
  15. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Doug, I'll post what seems relevant to me within the rules of this site, thank you.

I believe framing something beautiful is a way to share it with others and possibly ignite a love for history & collecting.

These coins are not altered coins or ILL treated coins they are protected & will be revered by those who do find them to be interesting and attractive for many years to come.

That you would judge so harshly how others might choose to enjoy the subject of ancient coins is sad & typical.

Coins have been made into jewelry from antiquity to the present - people for millennia have found the medium of coinage an effective canvas in which to display their art - opinions and history.

Wearing coins has always been a way to show reverence and appreciation for that work.

Your description of them as Baubles is quite incorrect - They are not cheap nor are they insubstantial

In the manner in which you criticize, I say take your inflammatory critiques elsewhere & publish them on some other forum. I thought people here enjoy themselves and can respectfully disagree with those not of a like mind.

Eng likes this.
  16. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Yes sir ;)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I like the 'look' of what you are displaying...and my only concern would have been similar to Bing's and Doug's---irreparable damage to the coins themselves as they are mounted or otherwise affixed as jewelry in some way.

Personally, as long as ..." these coins are not altered or ill treated..." as you say, I think they could make terrific gifts for others not as enamored of Ancients as all of us are. I agree with TIF and think they appear 'unique and well crafted'---and I love the sword too!!

Severatus likes this.
  18. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

The jewelry is designed to secure the coins with minimal contact - no adhesives - no solder

The Ren wax is the only additive but, seeing how conservationists in the British Museum use it on priceless treasures I think they will be ok ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted