Ancient coin ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Makanudo, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I would appreciate if anyone could identify this heavy bronze coin, with a dimple in the middle. Also if you have any advice on removing Verdi Gris.
    Thanks!

co1.jpg co3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I can tell from the reverse that it comes from Viminacium, Moesia with the reverse "Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at feet on either side.". I cannot identify the ruler.

4. Makanudo

If I could only remove the green stuff I could easily read the writing because it is very well preserved. I can feel it under fingertips.

5. Makanudo

The ruler seems to have a large beard

6. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Maybe Philip the Arab?

7. Makanudo

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If I read the date in the exergue correctly as ANV, it would be Philip I.
    gi2290bb2331.jpg

The green-away question is much harder. Looking at the photo, I thought it was hoplessly corroded and removing the green would leave nothing better looking below. The photo does not match what you say about detail underneath. You could soak the coin in a strong solution of Sodium sesquicarbonate which would remove the green, An acid like lemon juice would work as well but would be even more likely to eat copper ruining any coin detail under there so you would have to watch progress like a hawk and stop at the very moment the bad stuff was gone but before the good was damaged. Usually what is under hard green patina is not something you want to see so we recommend leaving it alone. However when what you have is ugly and you are aware that it is not likely to get better, you may choose to go against reason and hope for a miracle. The conservative approach is always to do the least first and see if that helps at all. In this case, that would be a soak in distiled water and brushing with a tooth brush repeated several times before adding any chemical to the effort. If the brown in the photo is on top of the green rather than the other way around, I'd suspect a better chance for success but if the brown is where the green has already been removed, chances are not as good. I wish I could hold out more hope for success but all I see in the photo does not strike me as good.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Bing likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Slow typists always lose. The Wildwinds photo shows a coin stripped of its patina leaving rough surfaces and is the best you could hope for removing the green. That coin has a good solid base which I don't believe yours has looking at the edges on the photo.

10. Makanudo

Doug,

Its a scan not a photo.
    I 'll make a better effort.
    I soaked it for 12 hours in distilled water and sodium bicarbonate after that I brushed it, but with no results

11. Makanudo

The weight of the coin is 14.5grams
    Diameter is 3cm.
    I thought it was bronze, but you say it is copper?

12. Makanudo

Photos I made are even worse...
    SAM_2592.JPG SAM_2593.JPG

13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I now firmly believe that it's Philip I (the Arab) from the looks of your latest picture.
    Is this your first Ancient?

14. Makanudo

Magnus Maximus:

Thanks for the help.
    It is nor my first ancient, but I do not collect ancients. I have 10 - 15 ancient coins and a couple of medieval.
    Primarily I collect world paper and metal money 18th, 19th and 20th century

Magnus Maximus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted