Ancient Coin ID Help Please!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by scotts1, Aug 14, 2016.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I believe coin #3 is from Carthage ~300BC and coin #2 is from Sicily ~400 BC. I don't know what the others are. Any help identifying these would be appreciated!

img20160814_14041987.jpg

other side:
    img20160814_14080199.jpg

Attached Files:

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sizes and weights will help, but are some likely candidates in terms of place of issue. Go to Wildwinds or CNG's archives and you'll probably be able to pin them down.

1. SELEUKID KINGS (not sure which one). Apollo obverse, bull reverse
    2. SICILY, Akragas.
    3. yes, Carthage
    4. SICILY, Syracuse.
    5. TROAS, Assos.
    6. CAMPANIA, Cales.

If you get stuck let us know, but I thought you might want to satisfaction of finding the full attribution yourself after a nudge in the right directions :) (although I can't promise that my list is correct)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    stevex6, scotts1, Smojo and 1 other person like this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

#1 is Seleucus II
    Antioch
    246-226 BC
    Obvs: Laureate head of Apollo right.

Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY, Bull standing l.

I have one, just not photographed yet.

scotts1 likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, #'s 1 and 3 were the only coins I would've been able to help with...but TIF and David seem to have already done that.

6. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

The question is more are they authentic...

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That too :D

8. scotts1

Do they appear suspect to you?

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hard to say with low-res scans, but to me they look okay-- just very corroded.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  10. scotts1

Thanks for helping, I'll see what I can find!

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It appears they have been cleaned down to the metal.

12. scotts1

They were less than $8 each. Are they worth any more in this condition?

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No. A real problem is that severe, abusive cleaning reduces the value of a genuine coin so much that the question as to whether it is real or not becomes moot from a 'value' perspective. I can't 'prove' these photos show real or genuine coins. Such cleaning removes some signs of being genuine that would make me more likely feel comfortable with them. If I saw the coins in person at a coin show and examined them determining that I though they were probably good, I still would not be interested in them. I am not as concerned with condition as many people but I would rather pay $80 for an example twice as nice as $8 for these. There are two questions. Are they authentic? If we don't want them, does it matter? That is being too rough. If I were unable to find a better example of the first three and if I convinced myself they were good, I'd buy them for $8 (maybe a bit more for 1 &2?) as space fillers.

14. scotts1

I didn't figure they were, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks everyone for writing back so quickly!

Draft saved Draft deleted