Ancient coin collecting milestone

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, May 23, 2017.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

This was a wish list item
    I never imagined that I would actually own one of these. Amazing how miracles happen! My most trusted auctioneer and numismatist friend just so happened to have one available at an awesomely reasonable starting bid and in awesomely excellent condition. And by Grace of the Father it so happened that I was the top bidder. Thank you, my trusted numismatist friend! Thank you to the previous owner who gave up this awesome coin for adoption!

TRIBUTE_PENNY.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    I_v_a_n, Craig Z, TJC and 54 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That's a great looking specimen of a very desirable coin. Congrats.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's hard to believe these are as expensive as they are, but I know the why. Yours is very nice example. Congratulations.

My first "Tribute Penny" was a fake. There are lots of 'em out there. I say this just to remind people to conduct due diligence when buying one of these. Here is my authentic example:
    Tiberius 6.jpg

alde, Carl Wilmont, tobiask and 26 others like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A very desireable example!! Congrats @Deacon Ray !

Evan8 and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

That is an awesome acquisition. These coins can be rather painful to acquire. None-the-less I am sure it was worth it!

I am still waiting for @dougsmit to sell me his Indian imitation of the tribute penny, as it would fill so many holes in my collection with a single coin, but I don't think it will happen, maybe someday I will try again.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I have to go look up this coin and see what all the hubbub is about! I really like the way @Deacon Ray gives credit to "The Father" and everyone else in the chain of providence that landed what he wanted in his hands. I find that uplifting!

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Look here -
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-tribute-penny

9. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Here is a fake sand cast IMG_3783.JPG

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's one of those coins that is rather expensive for how common they are. The Athenian owls and Mark Antony legionary denarii are other such examples of common coins that command crazy prices.

The thing is that although we don't really know what coin Jesus held up in the Bible when he uttered the famous phrase "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's", marketing campaigns have always refered to this particular coin of Tiberius as the very same coin Jesus held. Although there is zero evidence for that, the marketing campaigns have worked and these coins command crazy high prices.

Nerva, LaCointessa and Deacon Ray like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What Bing said. Congrats, DR, and as always, I enjoy your graphic presentation of the coin.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, still wouldn't mind one too. But can never justify the price, even "bargains" I have seen over the years.

Deacon Ray and Sallent like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Excellent coin, DR, congratulations.

Keep your eyes open, I have seen at least a dozen and all are die duplicates probably from the same find. CNG has sold a couple according to their site. Mine has been here since 1988 and has 'tenure'.
    rb0940bb0088.jpg

I wonder if when Jesus said "Render unto Caesar", he included fourrees. I can't help thinking Caesar would have been displeased by the one below.
    rb0930bb0026.jpg

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats @Deacon Ray ! That is a wonderful coin and fits well within your collection. BIG FUN!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

There is an excellent thread about the subject of the Tribute Penny at FORVM. Click here. I would suggest everyone read it before they opine. Whenever these coins come around for discussion there's a lot of disinformation thrown around, and the discussion veers toward conflict between religious and non-religious people. The posters at FORVM do an excellent job analyzing the various objections, and examining the historical and philosophical significance of the coin.

Carl Wilmont, TIF, ancientone and 6 others like this.
  17. Deacon Ray

Thanks, Bing! Your Denarius has a beautiful ancient patina and shows a lot of character.

18. Deacon Ray

Thanks, John! That FORVM comment forum is an excellent dialog on the Denarius!

19. Deacon Ray

20. Deacon Ray

21. Deacon Ray

Thank you, Doug! As always Sir, your post is fascinating. I'm starting to collect Spanish/Roman semis imitations. I'm finding them very interesting.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted