Ancient Coin Avatars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I’m a frequent changer of my avatar/icon. Having made a living in the graphics and printing fields for much of my life, I’m constantly thinking of new ways to feature my ancient coins. Many of my images serve double duty in that I’ve superimposed images onto selfie photos that were originally taken using other props. My coffee cup image was originally taken using a blank white mug with no printing on it.

AV1.jpg

Many Ancients Forum members have interesting avatars that are particularly effective at visual story-telling. My two favorites are: @dougsmit in
    an image of himself holding an ancient coin and his camera and macro-photography set-up and @philologus_1 in an image of himself standing at a lectern with a projected image of a Judaean Herod Archelaus coin on a screen behind him.

ART_AVATAR.jpg

@TIF ’s Decadrachm , @Severus Alexander ’s (I don’t go anywhere without a facemark hanging on my ear —LOL) Cucumber ’s and @zumbly ’s images using face masks are hilarious. @lordmarcovan ’s prior avatar of himself wearing a top hat covered in medals and medallions was a great one also. Many more of you have great avatars.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Nyatii, Scipio, zumbly and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great avatars indeed !
    I know of at least one more wearing a facemask :D

Q

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some avatars are really creative. I like to swap mine out every few months with some historical figure or something that just amuses me personally.

Alegandron and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

you're quiet an artist D Ray :)

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I was dropped on the head as a child.

7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

happy with mine. i will be sorry to say goodby.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I change mine periodically as well, mainly to whatever my present coin interest is.

Alegandron, Deacon Ray and alurid like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I guess mine is pretty generic, but I think its pretty

Alegandron, ambr0zie and Deacon Ray like this.
  10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I like your images and editing skills @Deacon Ray.
    My avatar is an image of my nickname. There are lots of marks around where I live were the limes once was.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I really like the Athens owl.

12. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

The Biblical coins and relics design would make for an awesome mug!

Fantastic designs, as always, Deacon Ray!

Erin

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I usually keep my Avatar to coins that I have purchased recently or just some of my favorites. Sometime I think I might change it out too much.

As to your coffee mug designs I say bravo @Deacon Ray . The coffee mug you sent me a few years ago is still my favorite. :D

FA23F903-C499-4B29-A667-242674CD013E.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Scipio, ambr0zie, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..hehe..you're what your cracked up to be :D

15. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

My favorite @Deacon Ray avatar is the one where he's wearing suspenders. Wait! No. Maybe my favorite is the one where he's kneeling on one knee with the sword!

16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I'm happy with mine :p.

IMG_7264 (3).JPG

17. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I guess my avatar is my “brand” so no changes are in sight.

- Broucheion

Alegandron, ambr0zie and Deacon Ray like this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

This post reminded me that it’s time to change my avatar for spooky season (Philipp von Heinsberg enjoys getting dressed up for seasonal occasions…)

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL !!!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Mine is of one of my greatest friends. I have had many canines over my life, sometimes as many as 5 simultaneously.

Blue was beyond special. She was always at my side, even always with me when I took her to work everyday. Blue had saved my life in a couple critical situations. She was always loving to everyone, and was always smiling and was always with a tail-a-waggin’.

Lost her in late Dec-2021. My avatar of her is in the last hour with me...just a-smiling and happy with me. She kept placing her paw on my arm. She stood with me through great and tough times. This one cut deep.

21. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have kept the same avatar since I joined in 2017 for all the usual cited reasons though inertia is chief among them. That being said, this coin was at the time of purchase (May 2013) the most impressive Greek gold coin that I owned. Another important caveat is that when I actually created my avatar, I actually had a picture of the coin. I cannot see any reason to change it out for another coin.
    Philip III Av Stater Babylon Mint 323-318 BC In the name and types of Alexander III Obv. Helmeted head of Athena right. In right field M Rv, Nike standing left holding wreath and stylis Price 3691 8.48 grms `19mm Photo by W. Hansen alexanderav1.jpg It was about this time that I began to get interested in the coinage of Alexander III. Of course at the time I purchased this coin I knew it to be posthumous however that was not the case for a good number of the coins of Alexander III that I picked up more or less at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted