Ancient Coin Animals by Alphabet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I feel the same, finally a Res Publican! @Mikey Zee is a Kindred Res Publican too, as well as others having a bunch. I love them for their history.

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Republican coins are something I have yet to add to my collection, I'll just have to enjoy the coins you all post here.

ancientcoinguru and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

No way! I am gonna buy them all up so you can't get them :D LOL, more than enough to share...

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Why...the nerve!

;)

I would actually like to get a large bronze. I just haven't found one yet for my budget that really excited me. Maybe I need to up my budget...I'm patient.

ancientcoinguru and Alegandron like this.
  7. Alegandron

Sometimes you can find older RR bronze As that are pretty big, but to get them at under $100, sometimes the facades are pretty worn... yeah, agreed: be patient, you find the ones you want! :) It is just fun finding them, filling in the holes. For me, it is the historical basis behind them. :D

Mikey Zee, ancientcoinguru and Jwt708 like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sure...it's the history...not a shiny round thing...that's why you collect them.

:D

I'm kidding...mostly:shifty:

I like the silver's too. Heck, I like a lot of what Up see and my collection reflects that.

Alegandron and ancientcoinguru like this.
  9. Alegandron

Really, I do love the shiny silver ones, but I really do love them for the history behind them... Since the RR did not have silver in their area, they were late to coinage, and in the beginning they cast, then pounded out the copper ore to bronze and brass into coinage. It wasn't until they started fighting with Magna Graecia in the South and the Nasty-As Punics that they started Silver coinage...

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Am I the only one who finds this 'she-horse' a tad unusual LOL

I didn't notice any comments and what happened to the she-wolf??

Jwt708 and Alegandron like this.
  11. Mikey Zee

12. Alegandron

Ummm....yeah, saw that, and I was being a good boy and NOT make a comment. Raised a lot of horses, and was actually shocked that during this time that was a mode of transport...that the celator cut THAT HORSE into a design???

13. Sorry, that was more of a joke. I'm pretty sure most and NGC describe it as a She-Wolf, but it does look a lot like a horse.
    Or a wolf. With a wolf's mane?

ancientcoinguru, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Sure looks like a 'horse' to me---with or without my glasses LOL

15. That would be a cool part of history/lore that was lost. An alternate story involving a She-Horse.

Alegandron and stevex6 like this.
  16. Alegandron

Or some celator having fun!!!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'm in Germany & currently playing in the Leipzig & Dresden area before heading back to Aachen (Dusseldorf area). I haven't yet made plans for this weekend. Maybe an early Oktoberfest or something coin related in Poland is in my immediate future).

Satyr & Pan may have slipped through the cracks in our animal list. I guess they are only partly animal. o_O

Edit to add: Human too.

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ah, I was just kidding around...mostly. I was trying to poke fun at that "thing" that drives collectors. The history and research side of coin collecting, I completly appreciate and has been influencing my collection since I got serious about my mess tokens.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Alegandron

I know you were "Horsing-Around" :D When I can attribute a period of history to the coin, then it REALLY means a lot to me. However, I love silver - always have. I believe in another thread I owe you a posting of Challenge Coins. I have a few, and a few given by my Son-in-Law - the proper way. :) They ain't high value, just very sentimental.

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Alright...I'll bite...

I would love to see them! Challenge coins are almost priceless. Usually there's a memory strongly associated with the coin that creates a sentimental attachment. How much can sentiment get in the aftermarket? I would answer this with - it depends. Maybe a seller finds the right buyer who will usually be someone else who had one that doesn't for some reason; maybe there's a buyer out there who just thinks it's cool. Lots of maybes. I was actually just trying to photograph my challenge coins and was not happy at all with the results. I need to tweak the lighting but there are complications with that tonight so I gave up. Tried imaging my tokens but had problems with color so after a couple hours I gave up. Yep...quit day I guess. Hopefully I at least learned something. I will try again tomorrow I've got some 200+ tokens that need respectable images.

Time to make this post honest...

I usually avoid posting coins I haven't received yet but I'm pretty excited to be adding this to my collection:

I submit B.S.: B is for Bee and S is for Stag
    [​IMG]

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It was a conscious exclusion. I had to draw the line somewhere and I consider Pan, nymphs, and satyrs mythologic variants of humans :)

Draft saved Draft deleted