Ancient Chinese Shipwreck Cluster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamsCollection, Nov 29, 2019.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

Extremely happy that I recently won an auction for this stunning piece of history. Here before you is my newest addition to my collection! A truly magnificent shipwreck treasure. This is from a Song Dynasty Shipwreck which sunk sometime around 1100 AD. I do not know the specifics of the sinkage unfortunately. This is a cluster of ancient Chinese coins, all from believed to be from the Song Dynasty dating anywhere from 960-1100 AD.

SHIPWRECK3.jpg SHIPWRECK1.jpg SHIPWRECK4.jpg SHIPWRECK5.jpg SHIPWRECK2.jpg

The coins are stuck together with ocean floor sediment, and are presented perfectly. I am unsure the total amount of coins within this cluster but it weighs quite a bit, will get an exact weight soon. This is by far and away my current favorite piece in my collection, as I have had to rebuild I have taken more towards getting finer examples of items, or coins.

I really need to find a nice display case for this piece. I think it is truly stunning.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AdamsCollection

I certainly want to try and find more items to add related to ship wrecks, possibly an 8 reale. Anyone have ship wrecked items?

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

These look like they came off of a ca 1130 shipwreck off the coast of Indonesia.

AdamsCollection likes this.
  5. AdamsCollection

Might be correct

6. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Maybe a mount made for mineral specimens would be best. They are readily available in many sizes.

Alegandron and AdamsCollection like this.
  7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

That's really cool, and would make a great display piece. Keep us updated on how you choose to display it.

8. AdamsCollection

Really good idea! Was thinking something similar but encased in glass, I’m sure I can find something that can hold it up

9. AdamsCollection

Will do! And thanks! I’m excited about it

10. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

It's unfortunate that it appears to be too thick to put in a Riker mount - those are nice, inexpensive display cases - perhaps there are deeper Rikers about which I didn't know, but that could be a place from which to launch a search for small display solutions,

Draft saved Draft deleted