Ancient Chinese Qi Knife

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, May 19, 2016.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Here is a knife coin that is not seen too often, but it is by no moeans rare. Due to their large size impressive style, they have become very popular and fetch much higher prices than what their rarity suggests.

This coin has been broken at the handle, which is why it was largely ignored in the auction lot I got it in. Otherwise, I would not have been able to afford an example of a Qi knife. Looking at the break, one can see how the metal has crystalized, meaning that this coin has been buried for many centuries. The glue repair is very old and was there when I bought it. Everyone I have shown this coin to says it is genuine, and I agree.

The Qi Knives were cast by the state of Qi during the late Warring States Period, likely 350 BC to 250 BC. These coins are of a higher quality than anything else from Ancient China, with the high, well-formed rims and complex inscription. If these dated from before 400 BC, one would expect a very simple inscription of one character like those on spade coins and other knife coins. These are never seen with fewer than three characters, and are known to have four, five, and six characters. The rarity of Qi knives increases with the number of characters in the inscription.

The reverse always has a character that represents a mintmark or cyclical character. This character does not affect value or rarity.

The obverse reads "Qi Fa Hua," or "The [official] Currency of Qi." image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yozz1, Nyatii, Curtisimo and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for teaching me something new; very cool!

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very interesting.

5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Let me guess the price:

$30

6. TypeCoin971793

Indirectly. ;)

7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Its a nice example even with the break, which I assume can be professionally repaired.

I wish I could find them that cheap! The last one I had I sold at the Hong Kong auction where it realized about $800.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super cool 'knife coins'!!!

Yikes !!! I never would've guessed that high a value....

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

And it is not uncommon to see common 3-character knives fetch in the neighborhood of $2000. Just for reference, Hartill assigns a value of $150 for these knives, and 5-10 years ago they sold for that. There is no real explanation why the value has skyrocketed like it has.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a very modest, and probably very common Ming currency knife...but, HEY! I am on my way to collecting Ancient Chinese! :)
    upload_2016-5-20_12-2-13.png
    upload_2016-5-20_12-1-52.png
    China
    Ming currency knife - Bronze
    400-220 BCE
    Chime Stone Shape
    Ref: Hartill 4.42-3; Zhongguo Qianbi Da Ci Dian 577; Fisher-Ding 342; Schjoth 52-61

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    stevex6, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
  11. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I had no idea this type of currency existed, very interesting!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

@Alegandron

That is still a very nice specimen.

You may also be intrigued that the character on the reverse is "Xing," which means "Crossroads." In fact, if you look at the character, it looks like a drawing of an intersection.

I have one too. It is my favorite Ming Knife variety. :) image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Curtisimo, stevex6, dlhill132 and 2 others like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

So basically this was money, and if someone tried to steal it you attacked them with it.
    Right?

noname and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  15. Alegandron

Cool on the Xing character. Thanks for the info! :) I am just starting to delve into this area, but it is fascinating for me. I already have a small foot Spade, a Western Han 4 Shu w/ Hanger, and several early cast... but, just getting started.

Mikey Zee and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

What differentiated these coins from actual knives is their lack of sturdiness (no reinforcing metal structures) and lack of sharpness. So, no, these would not have been effective in an attack.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

Very nice! The 4-zhu is actually attributed to the Sui Dynasty (589-618 AD) or the times slightly earlier during another time of warring kindgdoms called The Division of North and South.

Alegandron and Loong Siew like this.
  18. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

The Southern Liu Song Dynasty during the Northern Southern Dynasties period preceding the Sui. Whilst the Han did have a 4 Zhu equivalent, it was more of a weighted variant whilst the legends were still left as 5 Zhu.

19. Alegandron

Yes! I am corrected. It was misattributed, but when I recorded into my Hartill book, it states Sui 581-618 CE.

upload_2016-5-20_11-54-42.png upload_2016-5-20_11-55-1.png
    China
    Sui Dynasty
    589-619 CE
    AE 15.0x10.3mm, 1.89g
    4 Zhu
    Obv: Yan Xiang
    Rev: Shi Zhu
    Ref: Similar to Hartill 13.53 but with "hanger" below; Unlisted
    Rare

Curtisimo, stevex6, dlhill132 and 2 others like this.
  20. Alegandron

I corrected my pics...I did not have the Reverse pic in my original post.

21. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Nice PIECE @Alegandron.. Though I Think Your piece might even be a Hartill 13.57 from the Northern Southern Dynasties instead of Sui. Sui had good solid wuzhu coins. Here is my piece PhotoGrid_1462376172914-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted