Ancient China Series - Khitans. Liao Dynasty

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Liao Dynasty 遼國。(907-1125)

Northern Song Period.

A very rare piece in an extinct script.

Although the Liao Dynasty were a Khitan nationality Dynasty, basically all aspects of their language and writing system were largely Chinese Han based. However, like the Tangut Western Xia Dynasty to the west, attempts to develop an indigenous Khitan script did not go very far and whilst it exists, there were hardly any records of circulating currencies or much coins for that matter in that script.

This coin is translated as 天朝萬順 Tian Chao Wan Shun from top-right-left-down. Literally translated in English it means "Tens of Thousands adhere to the Heavenly Dynasty". Tens of thousands here has an open-ended meaning which could refer to years or perhaps subjects of the Dynasty. The inscription would thus point this as a likely ceremonial coin (also given its large size) instead of a circulating currency.

A more detailed write up can be sourced as per link

http://www.charm.ru/coins/misc/kidanscriptcash.shtml

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yet another great coin. thanks also for the writeup.

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Thanks... I was really excited when I saw this beautiful piece. I never thought I'd ever get the chance to own it in my lifetime

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Thats awesome. Ceremonial cash!!!

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. Loong Siew

Thanks @Ancientnoob This marks the last piece of my extinct Chinese language series of my theme.

Sino-Kharosthi.
    Tangut
    Sogdian.
    Manchu
    Khitan.

Mikey Zee, Ancientnoob and Alegandron like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Loong Siew like this.
  8. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I don't know what I am looking at but I appreciate that you take the time to educate us about them.
    Cheers!

Mikey Zee, TIF and Loong Siew like this.
  9. Loong Siew

10. Loong Siew

Thanks. To be honest I can't even read this as the script is extinct. I am merely repeating the great works of others. .

11. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

a nit... 900 ad is mediaeval not ancient

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

That depends what region your talking about.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Loong Siew , I appreciate your write up and congrats on the wonderful capture you made! Especially in an ancient, extinct language! Well done!

I am watching your posts as I keep flirting with ancient Chinese, as well as other Asian coinage. I have traveled there (virtually all over the Eastern half of China and several other Asian countries), often, and have captured a few in my travels as well as in my searches.

Loong Siew and panzerman like this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Frankly, it appears to me as many others.... the overall design I mean and what appear to me to be simply Chinese characters. What was the clue to its uniqueness---the specific design of the characters (Kithan) which apparently are another form of extinct Chinese like those you listed earlier??

Usually I moan it's 'all Greek to me' LOL

Loong Siew and panzerman like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

BTW: This was offered on a Forum auction by an individual (Metrodorus) and I let it go...It's supposed to be Northern Song??? Is it of any interest to you?? It may even still be available.....

Northern Song.JPG northern song reverse.JPG

Loong Siew and stevex6 like this.
  16. Loong Siew

Thanks. Have fun but also keep a good reference book handy :).. The calligraphy and characters make a difference

Alegandron likes this.
  17. Loong Siew

Haha.. I know what you mean. The Khitan Script follows a close Chinese system. Unlike Roman or Arabic script, each character holds a meaning of its own instead of aan alphabet system

Mikey Zee likes this.
  18. Loong Siew

You should see the Tangut Script of the western Xia

Mikey Zee likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have David Hartill's "Cast Chinese Coinage", which helps me (sadly, I do not read, write, or speak Zhonghua).

Loong Siew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted