Featured Ancient ... but not a coin! Artifacts thread! Post 'em!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 25, 2017.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

That seems to be such a historical and artistic issue with lot of details that are far beyond my knowledge. I'm encouraged to acquire more and more of these, and post them with all the photos you tell me to shoot. Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

edited
    Frankly, I usually don't understand what you are trying to say in your posts....

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Edited

Why does this spam keep coming up?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

He is a whack-a-mole who perceived that he is valuable to the ancient coin forum, and wants them to appreciate his 'sense of humor'. Report and ignore is best. Jim

6. Ken Dorney

Then why isnt he banned? See his post right after yours! But then, I suppose these spammers are always registering under new e-mails.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

"Whack-a-mole", indeed.

Very persistent. Comes back every week. Same username with just a slight modification added at the end with each reincarnation. Banned, swept out with the trash, then back again. Wash, rinse, repeat, ignore. Seems to have taken a shine to this particular thread in the last week or two.

I had never seen this user until becoming a mod. They keep the streets swept clean around here. Most of the time Doug and Jim have the trolls and spammers zapped before one even gets a chance to see much of 'em.

<cue vintage Batman comic sound effects>

*biff*

*sock!*

*pow!*

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    TypeCoin971793 and Ryro like this.
  8. Ken Dorney

In an attempt to resurrect and avoid that spammer:

Here are two Roman period keys. They are of the 'Latch' type and date to the First Century AD and up to about the 5th Century. Yes, that is a big spread, but archaeological excavations have shown the types to have been used generally and synonymously during that time. For reference, see Andrew Birley, Vindolanda, Volume IV, The Small Finds, Fascicule II. Security: The Locks and Keys, figures 2 to 5:

IMG_3937.jpg IMG_3938.jpg

9. Ken Dorney

In case you are wondering, most is stored in a local bank vault. What isnt is protected quite vehemently through my friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. No kidding here.

7Calbrey and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Good dudes. Close friends.

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

What would you do with cough drops & cooking oil? :p:D:eek::rolleyes:

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Those were my thoughts exactly, though I'm more into Hall's or Luden's cough drops, personally. :hilarious:

I also let two posts from the latest Peeniemonster incarnation stand this particular time, since they were refreshingly free of gibberish and actually paid compliments to KD's artifacts and someone else's coin in another thread. The other mods can always drop the banhammer and "whack-a-mole" again if the nonsense resumes.

As to those Roman keys, they look rather frightening, and as intimidating as any products from Smith & Wesson (cough drops and cooking oil excluded).

I have a backscratcher that kind of looks like those.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    7Calbrey, PlanoSteve and Theodosius like this.
  13. PlanoSteve

Yes & I should have commented on them as well....for my purposes, I'm going to imagine they were used to "hold" the caged lions!! :smuggrin::D:smuggrin::D:eek:

14. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Some of us are concerned with artifacts relating to the Afterlife, and they may be quite significant. However, others of us are sufficiently tied up with the Beforelife.

15. PlanoSteve

And there are those who don't have a life....nobody here I imagine! :smug::smug::smug:
    What is the Beforelife? Never mind, don't go there...….:joyful::joyful::joyful:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

So, I posted a couple bottles I purchased from @Ken Dorney back on page 5 of this thread. You may have missed it Ken, but I was hoping you could comment on them, just any information you have, I never got the chance to ask you before. They are wonderful, and a bargain imo!

17. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

What is the Beforelife ? I meant it as the opposite of Afterlife. However, as an afterthought, it wasn't an appropriate expression. How about Presentlife, or Life before Afterlife ???

PlanoSteve likes this.
  18. Ken Dorney

About all I have is a short bio on the collection:

Herbert B. Stearns (born 1934, died 2013) was an extensive collector of Holy Land antiquities. He and his wife Audrey collected and exhibited their collection at the Museum of Biblical Archaeology in Columbus, the Museum of Archaeology and Biblical History and Southwest Trinity University. He served as curator at Columbus And Albuquerque. A lecturer on Middle East history, he was friend to such notable archaeologists as Yigael Yadin, and owned various antiquities recovered from Massada and given to him by the same fabled individual.

Bert Gedin, PlanoSteve and Alegandron like this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Here are a couple of neat items. From the Song Dynasty a bowl and dish (though the dish may be Ming, not sure yet. Only had them 25 years, should be enough time to properly attribute!):

IMG_3960.jpg

The bases are inscribed, the bowl 天位乙, sky or heaven, a place, two(?). It refers to the artist or workshop and the lot number of the pottery batch.

IMG_3961.jpg
    The dish is inscribed simply 五, or Two, again either the worker or batch number. IMG_3962.jpg

20. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

This character is 5.

21. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

二 This character is two.

Draft saved Draft deleted