Featured Ancient ... but not a coin! Artifacts thread! Post 'em!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 25, 2017.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I've got a bird and an arrow. The bird seems likely to be a hawk which had been hunted down. They are both bronze, weighing respectively 25.71 g. and 4.18 g.

Hawkbird R.JPG Hawky O Bronze.JPG Arr 2.JPG Arr 1.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

DonnaML likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

I acquired them nearly 2 months ago because they looked ancient. There were others , as well. I don't know whether they're Roman or Greek or others. What do you say?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

The arrowhead is Achaemenid Persian, c. 550 - 330 BC. For cataloging:

Schmidt, Persepolis 76, 8.
    Muscarella, Met Museum 322.
    Malloy, Weapons 111.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

Nope, they're definitely ancient. The only question is how ancient. With apologies, while they show up online all the time, everywhere from ebay to top-drawer dealers, they're nothing I collect. Yours definitely look on the late side of what I was yammering about, c. Greek (??? Hellenistic... Anyway?) to Roman.
    Surely someone here is much more fluent in this.

7Calbrey likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks, @Bob L. Not to try to appropriate the thread, but there was already a burr in my brain about this.

8. 7Calbrey

Thanks. Here's another metallic piece probably made of lead and weighing 29.7 g. It could be a weight or stamp. I also posted 2 stones : The first is a cube and weighs 162 g. It might contain a diamond, as I found out on Wikipedia. Shall I break it ? The second stone is raw and shows some light blue stones within. They could possibly be semi-precious stones. It weighs 52.3 g. Hope someone may comment, just for fun at least.
    MetalStp.JPG MetalWgt.JPG MetalCylr.JPG Cubest O.JPG Cubicst R.JPG Bluest O.JPG Bluegst R.JPG

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I like the bottom stone, it reminds me of pineapple opal.

7Calbrey, DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

Found this precious Byzantine ring. That's ancient jewelry . The shining red stone within seems like garnet or other (ruby perhaps). The white metal should be silver but it had to be a little black after all these years. It weighs 10.4 g. Glad to read your comments. Thank you guys.

ByzRing O.JPG ByzRside P.JPG ByzRingin R.JPG ByzRcrs Q.JPG

11. 7Calbrey

Maybe these are the last 2 items of the year. The first stone is likely to be an ancient amethyst weighing 37.6 g. The second is thought as a lamp from Ancient Egypt. It weighs only 72.5 g. I'd like to share them among my coin-friends.

Ancthyst.JPG PharLamp O.JPG PharoLamp O.JPG

12. 7Calbrey

I wanted to start the new year 2021 with a coin to post. But it happened that it's a lot of ancient artifacts. 2 bronze lamps and 10 arrowheads. I shall receive them tomorrow morning. Hope you may enjoy them and give a comment if you can. ArrLamp Br.JPG

13. +VGO.DVCKS

Terrific examples ...but why keep us in suspense? Where and when are they from?

14. 7Calbrey

I bought them from a researcher who checks up sites under request. He's got a license. Believe me I'm not sure about the identity of the arrowheads whether they're Greek or Roman or others. These are not coins but they looked genuine to me. As for the 2 bronze lamps, they're also new to me because I'm used to terra cotta. I first thought they were some kind of censors.. They're likely to be ancient lamps. Also I can't determine their nationality. I appreciate your guess. Thanks.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

Oh, Shoot, Sorry, I can't tell Greek from Roman, or either from somewhere earlier in the Bronze Age. Bet someone here knows Much more than I do....

7Calbrey likes this.
  16. 7Calbrey

More colorful ancient stones and artifacts are being revealed. The first is red weighing 27.36 g. The second looks like a white-orange ring or circle weighing 20.53 g. The third seems like a white transparent crystal weighing 44.27 g. Hope you like

Redstn27.36.JPG Ringon20.53.JPG Cryswht44.27.JPG

17. 7Calbrey

Got this lamp whose style looks nice and somewhat different to me. It weighs 64.6 g. I feel it's ancient. Hope you like it.

Lapmx O.JPG Lamsxp R.JPG

18. +VGO.DVCKS

19. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

20210128_105124.jpg 20210128_105106.jpg 20210128_105116.jpg 20210128_105116.jpg 20210128_105106.jpg [ATTACH = полный] 1261259 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 1261261 [/ ATTACH]

Alegandron likes this.
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

paschka likes this.
  21. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

the classic heart scarab was without drawing and inscriptions. But this, apparently, is a rare bronze scarab. And the genuine one. This is possible from 600 BC to 1500 BC .. also BC. I compared this thing with a very large number of similar ones in different museums and I have no doubt.

Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted