Featured Ancient ... but not a coin! Artifacts thread! Post 'em!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 25, 2017.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I am researching some things for a friend. Some of which is ancient.
    All three of these have been attributed to Luristan.
    Any info, comments or links to sites is much appreciated.
    Any ballpark values would also be helpful.

This is 13 cm/ 5" long and weighs 29.35 g
    20190418_163613.jpg 20190418_163620.jpg

This one is 6.3 cm long and 11.47 g
    20190418_163530.jpg 20190418_163542.jpg

And this one is 3.2cm long and 3.9 g. and one blade is broken.
    20190721_115025.jpg 20190721_115048.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I dont have links to sites, but I have good old fashioned books. Some caveats on these: Many types and forms were used throughout the area, including Luristan, Marlik and Amlash. They are often attributed synonymously by various books.

The most up to date works and my favorite references:

Arms and Armor from Iran, The Bronze Age to the End of the Qatar Period, by Manouchehr Khorasani.

Art of Ancient Iran, Copper and Bronze, by Houshang Mahboubian.

So...attributing:

First Photo:
    Mahboubian #390 (a group of 67 various types). He attributes them all to "Northwest and west Iran, Azerbaijan, Luristan and Amlash, 2nd/early 1st Millennium BC".
    Khorasani #463, attributed to Marlik, 14th - 10th Centuries BC.

Second Photo:
    Khorasani #464, again Marlik and same dates.

I am unsure about that piece. The photo makes the edges look thick and dull. If that is the case its a reproduction (forgers always make that mistake. The edges should be quite sharp).

As for values, antiquities are not quite as popular as they were 20-30 years ago. Prices have dropped a lot. But the first one should be worth around $100, the second if genuine $150, the last socketed point about $30.

Hope this helps.

Third photo:
    Khorasani #474, Achaemenid Period, he doesnt date them but would be to 550 - 330 BC.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It sure does, Thank You Very Much for your time! I did not expect to get it all in one post.

5. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Glad to see you back. Stick around this time. Perhaps the coin bug will bite again.:D

7. If a Roman terracotta oil lamp is still in good shape can you still light and use it?

8. Ken Dorney

Yes, it can be done and I know many people who have done so. Just keep in mind that it can become damaged. Often the clay is cracked or has become porous so that it could leak.

Stevearino and Daniel Maxwell like this.
  9. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

All i have is an arrowhead + these two lead things that were thrown in a lot of coins..

I've seen more like the thing on the right, but i forget what they are?
    k.jpg

chrsmat71 and Alegandron like this.
  10. Ken Dorney

What size is the object? It has the look of a votive burial mirror from the Balkans, but isnt. I imagine it must be a couple centimeters maybe. In all likelihood its just a small decorative piece broken off a larger decoration. There were many religious plaques made in the Balkans, often cult depictions, with highly decorative edges. Its likely part of one of those, as is the other piece in the photo (which looks to be a Corinthian column with bunches of grapes).

arnoldoe likes this.
  11. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Received today. Early 5th century Etruscan coffin appliqué:

A6E2A1EE-2BF9-4DCD-8070-0EBDF628CA34.jpeg

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Doooooohhhhhhh....!!!!!! Etruria, niiiice...

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  13. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Here's an arrowhead from ancient Iran, 1200-800 BC, purchased from Mr. Dorney.

For anyone who may be interested in bronze weaponry from Western Asia (Luristan and its environs), I just uploaded an essay and gallery at the links below. I've been pretty immersed in this research for the past half year. The gallery will grow over time (the next addition is already en route), but I'm quite pleased with the start. With each entry in the gallery, a full size version appears when images are clicked on.

Essay:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=119753.msg724936#msg724936

Gallery:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7069

AE Arrowhead 03.jpg

14. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

While it can't compete with that beautiful Etruscan appliqué, I'm quite happy with this steelyard weight in the shape of a bust of Mercury. I purchased it from an English metal detectorist who found it many years ago near Salisbury. It's about 33mm tall and weighs ~20g, and is intact except for part of the suspension loop. Interestingly, it's very similar to an example sold by TimeLine a few years ago, except the TimeLine one weighs 26g, almost a Roman uncia; this might be due to mine having a more abraded surface.

merc.jpg

15. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

I just saw it and fell in love even though it wasn't a coin. Not the same as the Agathodeamon, Isis-Thermuthis was a goddess of harvest and fertility.
    upload_2019-9-2_22-40-17.png
    upload_2019-9-2_22-46-27.png

Roman-Egypt
    Bronze Isis-Thermuthis (Isis-headed cobra)
    ca 100-200 CE
    Size: 69 X 43 mm​
    Ex-Zurqieh https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/zu...headed_cobra_332_bc395_ad/630351/Default.aspx

Sadly, I don't have a coin to go with this but @TIF has posted a beauty in another thread [https://www.cointalk.com/threads/follow-the-coin-theme-game-ancient-edition-post-‘em-if-you-got-‘em.300099/page-133#post-3624537 ].

- Broucheion

seth77, robinjojo, 7Calbrey and 4 others like this.
  16. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Since this thread is here, I thought I'd ask a question regarding ancient weapons. I have no experience or knowledge at all about dating, styles, cultures, etc, as far as weaponry goes, but I am interested in an ancient bronze battle axe.

To my untrained eye, it looks authentically ancient, so I don't question that part. What I wonder about is the stated age for it. It is said to be an "early type" bronze battle axe, 13.2 cm long, dated between 2000-3000 BC - is there something in the style that can conclusively say it is from that period? I've seen Viking-age battle axes, too, and they look about the same to my unschooled self, so that's a pretty big spread in time periods.

If not from the stated time period, what is a better estimate, and how would you arrive at that conclusion? Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

17a94274-5d7b-4fd0-a3c1-327d0f78d9b9-tile.jpg

17. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

That axe looks like may be a simple, late bronze age 1100-800 bc Koban Culture piece from the Caucasus/Black Sea region. I'm always suspicious of socketed axes like this as plenty of fakes are out there and would only consider buying if everything else they have is unambiguously genuine. I'm not convinced by those pictures alone.

Stevearino and Numisnewbiest like this.
  18. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

PB Seal – Bulla

Reference
    Cf. Rostovtsew & Prou p. 159, 7.

Obv.
    Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian right, seen from rear
    Rev.
    Blank

8.48 gr
    17x25.5 mm
    1323 Cf. Rostovtsew & Prou p. 159, 7..jpg

robinjojo, Plumbata, 7Calbrey and 4 others like this.
  19. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It's not Greek or Roman, but Pre-Columbian. I had to have it as it is one of the strangest and most interesting antiquities I have ever seen!

Ecuador, Manabi province, Jamacoaque culture, terracotta seated female figure with four birds perched on her shoulders and forearms, hands on two drums, wearing elaborate headdress, two necklaces, bracelets on wrists and upper arms, large shell ear ornaments, nose piercing, labret (lip piercing) and four facial piercings, c 500 CE, 10.5” high, 8.375” wide, 7.6” deep.
    Provenance: acquired from Morton Dimondstein, Los Angeles, c 1970-1985, ex John Rich collection, Beverly Hills, CA.
    Purchased May 23, 2019, Artemis Gallery auction, lot 124F.

20. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

This is a neolithic stone axe, found during World War II by my grandfather when he was a young boy working in a potato field on my great grand parents farm in rural Brittany :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robinjojo, TIF, Spaniard and 13 others like this.
  21. Ken Dorney

Draft saved Draft deleted