Ancient Aussies top 10 for 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Have seen some amazing coins from my fellow CT members and very impressed, my buys this year are only about a dozen coins and are no-where near the caliber of what I have seen but not wanting to be a party pooper I will post my first ten this year.
    5nARdWa2y6MgJSk4L86s9HgQm3PLNE (550x275).jpg Nero, AR Denarius Temple of Vesta, 65-66 AD, RIC 62, 3.17gm. 20161213_163946.jpg 20161213_163905.jpg Roman republic, AR Denarius 55 BC, Villa Publica, bought this coin as there is a lot of history attached to this building, in 82 BC Sulla ordered the deaths of some 4000 Samnite and Democrat rebels that were in the building, becoming an horrific massacre,
    Cr429/2b Syd 901a, 18mm, 3.6gm. 20160722_190301.jpg 20160722_190337.jpg I purchased this Hadrian Didrachm for it's sheer beauty, silver toned gold is something you don't see every day and being rare made it to good an opportunity to pass up. Cilicia Aegeae 117/118 AD, Athena standing, goat in in lower left field, SNG von Aulock 5449. Prieur 714. 10gm. mTq84zRGbQ9rP6kcfbJ5n2PXFd7apS (1).jpg AE Sestertius, Antoninus Pius, Tiberis the river god intrigues me as having been to Tiber island I just had to have this coin. Rome 140 AD, 32mm, 26.5gm, RIC 642a. $_59.jpg $_58.jpg Another Antoninus Pius Sestertius honoring the temple of Augustus and Livia, a very large heavy coin 28.6 gm. I look at this coin as very rustic and has a very original feel to it. RIC 1004. 20160910_090234.jpg 20160910_090221.jpg Yes and one more Pius Sestertius, being a fan of his coins I wanted one with strong bust detail and this was the best I could find (and it cost me) Rome 142 AD. Apollo standing left, RIC 598, 22.4gm
    The other four coins are on the Ancient Aussies top 10 for 2016 (cont) thread.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That goldie-toned Trajan is terrific! Not only is the toning supercool, but that portrait is great, too. Reminds me quite a bit of my old metal detecting buddy Russ, or a little bit of the actor Sir Ben Kingsley (only with hair).

That's a very respectable Antoninus Pius sestertius, too. I can't help but compare it to the Hadrian sestertius in my Box of 20. I think its detail is as nice or better as my Hadrian, and the reverse probably better. I like the toning/patina on my coin, but yours would've certainly been "Box of 20-worthy" in my book! I'm curious to know what that cost you. If you feel like it, PM me, and I'll tell you what my Hadrian cost me. Might be comparing apples and oranges, but I dunno. They're fairly close. Maybe more like comparing nectarines and tangerines?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Ancient Aussie likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coins. Love those AP sestertius

5. Ancient Aussie

Thanks will do.

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very hard for me to pick a favorite amongst these, AA. I honestly like them all very much and would have been happy had any of them joined my own collection this year. Ok, if push comes to shove, I'd pick the A-Pi sestertius with Apollo reverse. That coin has great style, centering, colour... just loads of eye appeal. That amazing Hadrian didrachm would be a close second. Nicely done!

7. Ancient Aussie

Your'e a good judge, those two were the most expensive, just goes to show you get what you pay for.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Classic coins, great choices! My favorites are the A-Pi Apollo sestertius, A-Pi river god sestertius, and the RR Villa Publica-- but I'd take any of them :)

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins all, but the Nero and Republic coins are neat as heck.

10. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Cool hadrian,

Like you bronses

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful!!! The Nero denarius and then the two A-PI's that are listed above jump out at me first....

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A very nice group. That Hadrian is beautiful.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

They are great! Love the wear... i really like the Tiberis!

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

The Villa publica for me, thank you :)

Q

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

all nice AA, but that hemidram is fantastic...cool portrait style, great color...neat!

16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

They are all excellent coins. My favorite in the Hadrian didrachm.

Draft saved Draft deleted