Ancient => Another Cool Cast AE Coin from Sicily "This makes three"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 1, 2013.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks to A-Noob (who gave me the heads-up on this coin), I have added another Cast AE bronze from Sicily to my collection ...

=> yup, apparently I'm hooked on these odd lil' beauties!!

Sicily
    , Akragas Cast AE Trias
    circa 450 BC
    Diameter: 14 x 19 x 20 mm
    Weight: 16.28 grams
    Desc: Eagle standing left & trident of crab’s claws on sides, four pellets on base
    Reference: SNG ANS 1015-7; CNS 1

akragas Trias a.jpg akragas Trias b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm gonna repost my other two examples, just to keep them neatly all together (that's merely "OCD 101")

SICILY, Akragas Æ Cast Onkia
    Circa 450-440 BC
    Diameter: 19 mm
    Weight: 4.62 grams
    Obverse: Eagle's head left
    Reverse: Crab claw left
    Reference: CNS 8; SNG ANS 1020
    Other: 6h ... Near VF, brown patina
    => almond shaped cast bronze ... sometimes referred to as the first bronze coin

Sicily Akragas a.jpg Sicily Akragas b.jpg

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

SICILY, Selinos Cast Æ Onkia
    Circa 450-440 BC
    Diameter: 15 mm
    Weight: 4.14 grams
    Obverse: Kantharos; pellet (mark of value) above
    Reverse: Selinon leaf
    Reference: Price, Selinus, Group IIIC; CNS 10; Puglisi 282; HGC 2, 1237
    Other: 12h … Good VF, dark green patina

Sicily Selinos a.jpg Sicily Selinos b.jpg

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, I totally admit that the "Eagle" and the "Crab" on my new coin are a tad difficult to see ... and honestly, I had to look-up a few other examples to even get a hint of what I was lookin' at ... but surprisingly, my example is actually in average condition, or perhaps even a bit above average condition

=> either way, I seem to be drawn to these crusty old AE souls!!

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I found an example which should make my example make a bit more sense:

akragas comparison.jpg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yours is much like mine. This last one is magnificent. Note it has a legend AK next to the eagle.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm jealous and disappointed in Anoob for not giving me the heads up first! Hrmf!! Great pickup little brother

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug, I agree with both of your statements ... and yes, I did notice the AK (Akragas, very cool)

Your example has a very interesting/pretty greenish patina ... my OP example is still a bit of a mystery (I asked the seller to send a couple more photos, but he hasn't responded yet) => ummm, in the photo that I posted, my coin almost looks like a shiny bullet, but I'm betting that it will be a very darkish greeny-browny patina?

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Steve very cool, some of the oldest coins minted, awesome....:thumb::thumb:..i saw this coin to, you picked it up from my buddy Glen at Musa on vcoins, you should give him a plug...Oh i just did..:D

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks Bing ....

Yah, A-Noob and I laughed out loud and then we high-fived each other as we discussed how mad you'd be about this coin ...

=> then A-Noob added-in that he's sick of you posting all of the super-cool coins, so he thought that he'd toss me a bone this time around!!

Oh, and A-Noob then mentioned that "he totally likes me best"

;)

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the coin compliment, Eng

:high5:

=> well, first let's see if Glen responds to my e-mail and whether he sends me the photos that I asked him for ..............

NOTE => this is actually the first coin that I've purchased from your buddy at Musa (but so far, so good => atta boy Glen)

:thumb:

13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

If you hadn't stated there was an eagle and crab's claw on it I would have never guessed it. But, is it really considered a coin or an artifact? Either way, its a really nice piece, you may have convinced me to add something like that to my collection.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just what I figured!!

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I admit that all three of these AE Cast examples are pretty far removed from a traditional modern coin, eh? However, according to the write-ups that I found, these coins/artifacts were used for monetary trade (for example, my newest coin has "4" pellets, indicating that it is 4 times as valuable as the onkia with the Kantharos on it, which only has 1 pellet above the rim)

Regardless => man, I find these odd, old "objects" simply fascinating!!

... thanks for showing interest and thanks for the coin-comments (I appreciate them)

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

SIDENOTE => Eng, your buddy (Glen from Musa) made big-points by responding to my request ... he rotated and toned-down the original vcoin photo, plus he also stated that he'd try to take a couple more photos of the coin tomorrow (I thanked him for his effort, but told him that I'd merely take a few of my own photos once it arrives) .... all in all, I'm giving Glen and Musa "two thumbs-up"

:thumb::thumb:

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Congrats man. I have gotten some ancients lately, but have been spending more time on medieval Thai coins.

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

These are neat

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

good question icerain, and good answer stevex...certainly very interesting

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I've been at it again!! => I bought myself another Cast AE Bronze!! (yessssssssss)

=> it is another coin from Selinos (Celery-ville) this time it has a Gorgon's face on it (sweeet & neat!!)

SICILY, Selinos Cast Æ Tetras
    Circa 450-440 BC
    Diameter: 21 mm
    Weight: 11.64 grams
    Obverse: Gorgoneion with four pellets in quarters of face
    Reverse: Selinon leaf; four pellets around
    Reference: Price, Selinus, Group IIB; CNS 3 (Trias); Thurlow & Vecchi 310; SNG Morcom –; SNG ANS –; SNG Lloyd –; HGC 2, 1232
    Other: 12h … Good VF, dark green patina
    From the L.C. Aes Grave Collection

[​IMG][​IMG]

=> that makes "4" => holy schmokes, I'm starting to get quite a collection of these lil' dawgs, eh?

21. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Great one Steve!

Draft saved Draft deleted