WTS: Ancient and medieval coin reference works

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Valentinian, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Serious collectors want the major relevant reference works. Here are some.
    Shipping $4 for any number of these volumes listed without given shipping. Shipping in the US only.

Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum. The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals Danish National Museum. Egypt: The Ptolemies. (Volume 40 of SNG Copenhagen) folio cardcover. Kopenhagen, Munksgaard, ., 1977. Foliant. 3 pages, 22 plates with 696 coins. If you collect coins of the Ptolemies, this is the way to get almost 700 photos. None on Amazon or vcins. One in the US on ABE for $114. Here, $79 + $6 shipping (it is folio and hard to ship!)

Malter, auction sale II, (1978, 23-34 Feb.) "The Coinage of Ancient Egypt" MV. MQP. 382 ancients, all from Egypt. 307 Ptolomiac including 27 of Cleopatra.
    Ptolomaic (307) including Cleopatra (27) [with PR, $9]

Medieval: Metcalf, D.M., Coinage in the Balkans 820 - 1355, 1966, xix + 286 pp. + 16 plates. (mostly enlargements) An overview of the medieval coinage issued by some of the states bordering the Byzantine empire. Hardbound with DJ. Very good, no dustjacket. If you care about the coins resembling Byzantine coins from nearby states in this era, you might like this book. [$19]

Coinage of Cilician Armenia Hardcover – 1979, by Paul Z. Bedoukian. 494 pages, XII plates. 10 pages of enlarged line drawings. $62 on Amazon. Fine except for three single-word notes in ink. [$45]

J.J. North. English Hammered Coinage, volumes I (650-1272) (first edition, hardcover, 1963) $70 on Amazon, [$39 here]. Volume II (1272-1662) (second edition, hardcover, 1975) [$59] This is mongrel set of 1st and 2nd editions. The third edition is long out of print. The plates in Volume 2 are superior to those published later. The pair [$79]

Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum: ANS part 7: Macedonia I. Cities, Thraco-Macedonian Tribes, Paeonian Kings. Hardcover, nearly new. [$35 on Amazon, $19 here]

Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum: ANS part 7: Macedonia II: Alexander I- Philip II (Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum) 1994 hardcover. by Hyla A. Troxell (Author). Hardcover. Nearly new. Not on Amazon or vcoins. [$75 on vcoins, $39 here]