ANACS... what the heck?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Jul 26, 2017.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

add me to the list

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they ran a retro option for the small holder. I'll bet it would be an eye opener for them.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I liked the blue ones when they first came out, but then I sent them some coins and their grading was WAY off. Some grossly over-graded stuff and some strange opinions. I got a Draped Bust Dollar that they called "acid treated" which was very strange.
    A buddy of mine had a blue ANACS XF45 181.7 Capped Bust 50c. It crossed at PCGS at VF35, which was the accurate grade. He was pissed, but I told him it wasn't a XF45.

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Beauty is in the eye of the holder.

moneycostingmemoney and mark_h like this.
  6. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

"If they went back to the small white holders I would actually give them my business again."

Going back to those would be SUCH a good idea!

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Because everyone else in the industry (including the top two that everyone swore by) was using larger slabs and so it appeared that was what people wanted. They followed the market.

8. wxcoin

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers but regardless of the holder, one should buy the coin, not the holder. That said, the slabbed coins in my Lighthouse albums do look better in PCGS and NGC slabs.

9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

True statement, but I'm talking about submitting coins to be graded and attributed. ;)

wxcoin likes this.
  10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Weird, but ok.
    Milk
    Bread
    Lettuce
    "MOOSE"

:wideyed::shame::)

dwhiz and -jeffB like this.
  11. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Mmmmm bullwinkle burgers. I'll bring the beer

Johndoe2000$ and dwhiz like this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I've had moose burgers, they are good.

13. moneycostingmemoney

Indeed. I put them over bison, but camel has to be my favorite aside from a good ole steer.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

It would of been 2ish pm. Do they have nap time

15. moneycostingmemoney

They are the oldest TPG, they deserve nap time ;)

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably why they don't always 'get it right', but, neither do the other two. They just get it right more often..........I think. devil.gif

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  17. moneycostingmemoney

Haha agreed. The hype with the other two...I don't get it. "Nicer" plastic and higher grading costs? Yeah, that justifies the higher premium. I guess like everything else if it costs more it has to be the better widget.

green18 likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think they saw your number on the display and thought "OMG it's him again!"... ;-)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@Insider and others... what do you make of this one. I sent it to NGC when a buyer decided he didn't want it. It's on it's way back.
    DSCN8138-horz.jpg

20. wxcoin

I would guess MS 64. I'm helping an elderly lady sell her mothers collection and there are two mint state 1840 large cents I'm going to send in to NGC for grading and attributing. One looks MS 65-66 and the other 63. Both are really nice.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Sorry, just saw this. I personally would not buy it. While I think it is attractive, there are some spots of ED and a possible "greenish coating" with green debris on hair and around reverse letters. Coin needs conservation but only VerdiCare or acetone - NO MS-70 on this one.

If I owned it, I'd price it at least an MS-63. If I worked at a TPGS, I'd send it to the next guy as a '62. I'll take a guess and say it is straight graded as a '63.

Draft saved Draft deleted