ANACS vs NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vespadoctor1, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Vespadoctor1

Vespadoctor1 Member

I sent 4 ANACS 70's to NGC and NGC graded them 69's. I thought at least one would be a 70.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You need to learn how to grade for yourself. If you have the coin in hand, it's not hard to tell if it is a 70. A 70 has absolutely no marks on it, not even the slightest pinprick.

By the way, you didn't say if they were proof or uncirculated coins. Proof 70's are easier to grade.

Chris

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Were them 4 coins, bulk graded, or from a program grade
    ( First Day ) ?

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The fact that ANACS overgraded the coins should not come as a surprise to anyone.

mac266 likes this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You cant just single out Anacs as the only company who has an overgraded MS70 labeled as such. Ive seen numerous so-called 70 graded coins in PCGS/NGC holders that werent even close. I dont think there even is such a thing for a business strike. I could find SOMETHING wrong with any 70 graded coin you put in front of me .

imrich, ddddd, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I didn't single anyone out. I said I wasn't surprised, nor should anyone else be, that their grade was higher than NGC.

I think that the market bears this fact out as well.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's a gross overstatement. Some probably but all no.

It does for sure, but NGC isn't the market leader for 69 vs 70 either. Could they have been over graded maybe but NGC could have also been wrong on one or more.

imrich and mikenoodle like this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: Oh Boy...here goes:

You would think so but apparently not. Several things come into play here:

1. SE are graded by eye.
    2. Certain % of SE submissions from large submitters are expected to "make" MS-70 even if the grader needs to stretch.
    3. Why would the #1 TPGS wish to cross a coin from the #4 TPGS and prove that while their grading is the same the lesser service is faster and cheaper? Thus, the coins are examined more closely for a cross as they don't wish to put a coin that is actually inferior into their slab.

This is basically correct except when it comes to small "mint-made" imperfections.

This response comes as a surprise to me! ANACS does not over grade SE any worse than any other TPGS.

heavycam.monstervam, posted: "You cant just single out Anacs as the only company who has an overgraded MS70 labeled as such. I've seen numerous so-called 70 graded coins in PCGS/NGC holders that werent even close." I am in 100% agreement. "I dont think there even is such a thing for a business strike." Actually, I am in 100% disagreement with this statement. The TPGS employees I have discussed this fallacy with agree that modern commemoratives and SE are usually much more prevalent as 70's in Mint State than their proof counterparts. "I could find SOMETHING wrong with any 70 graded coin you put in front of me. :jawdrop::hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes:
    You are a better man than I :bucktooth: or the TPGS's :bucktooth: for sure. Since that grade (70) came about, I have seen (using a stereo microscope) thousands of coins graded 70 w/o any flaws including those made at the mint! :yawn:

The only "fact" borne out by the market is that identical perfect coins are worth more in an NGC slab than an ANACS slab. I though that was common knowledge.

imrich likes this.
  10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

It does seem like a purple kind of day;)

However, yellow text would have been more fitting, in honor of ANACS' ugly yellow lables :vomit:

Insider likes this.
  11. baseball21

Valid point but in this case it definitely wasn't a crossover. PCGS takes crossovers from anyone, NGC only accepts PCGS coins for crossover and anything else they crack out if it was sent in a slab. Whether or not those labels get passed along to the grading room I have no idea, I would guess they don't but I can't say for sure either way

Gilbert likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Can't read yellow text on a white background.

Evan8 and baseball21 like this.
  13. Insider

Their slab and label is dog ugly. ** Only one more ugly was the marbled, greenish ICG label you could not read! Thankfully they got rid of it.

** Transcription in black: "Their slab and label is dog ugly."

Evan8 likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Agree that what I'll call 'capsuled uncirculated' coins get 70 as much or more than proofs. To me, they're a more perfect manifestation of the intent of the sculptor's vision. I still insist there's a difference between those types of Uncs and real 'intended for circulation' or even cherry-picked uncs (as in the mint sets). I've seen the odd 69 on those, but never in the hand (pics only). I consider a 68 to be "as good as it gets" on real "circulation quality" pieces. When I check 200-coin bags of Kennedy halves, I'm looking for 67's. And I find them too.

I snag the occasional PL Kennedy too. Alas, Denver only.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Pseudo crossover story - a couple of months back I sent a 1916-S Walker to NGC for a non-cross crossover. It was in an ICG MS63 holder, not real recent. I broke apart the hard shell of the holder, but left the coin in the ICG soft insert, to say, "Yes, this was ICG, now what do YOU say?"

It came back the very same, NGC MS63. I then took it to the ICG booth at FUN. He said he thinks it's a borderline 64.

16. baseball21

Your best bet will be a 2002 or 2003 Lincoln. The 02 state quarters have a fair number as well though its spread out over more issues obviously. 94 P nickle has a lot for a single date as well. Unless of course you include the satin issues in the mix then its those

17. cpm9ball

The preferable descriptive would be "fugly", but if you use that stinkin' yellow one more time, I will come looking for you!

Chris:woot::woot::woot:

Kentucky and Evan8 like this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

You mean "regular" 94P nickels or the one that came in the Jefferson set? They can spew that "SP" stuff all they want. Those are matte proofs.

19. baseball21

The regular. The SP ones are overwhelming 69s. Its possible some of the SP didn't strike up well enough and got the MS designation, all but 2 of the MS 69s for that date for PCGS don't have the full step designation.

20. Insider

I posted this above:

3. Why would the #1 TPGS wish to cross a coin from the #4 TPGS and prove that while their grading is the same the lesser service is faster and cheaper? Thus, the coins are examined more closely for a cross as they don't wish to put a coin that is actually inferior into their slab.

It turns out this does not apply to ICG, ANACS, etc. - only PCGS. baseball is correct:
    NGC cracks out any slab besides PCGS and they are treated as a raw submission. Apparently this has been done for a couple of years. The label from the competing TPGS may be passed on with the coins as I was told it is not important what happens to it. I forgot to inquire if the original label was returned to the sender. This would guarantee it was kept with the coin. The most efficient thing would be to throw the old label and plastic in the can. I'll be going to NGC next week and I'll try to remember to ask.

21. cpm9ball

I agree, but the problem is how can one determine if a slight pinprick in (say) the cameo was caused by the Mint or not. That being the case, don't you think that the grading service would be more likely to err on the side of caution rather than giving the coin a 70?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted