ANACS special- worth it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LM3012, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I tried their special a couple years back...My 56 type 1 Franklin came back a type 2!...I sent it back and they fixed the problem, but their grades are usually 1 or 2 grades below actual. I won't try saving money with them again. Their holders are also cheap plastic and scratches easily...you get what you pay for. As for their regular submission service at regular prices, I have no real problem. They're a great service for authentication and varieties designation. I think they rush the service for the cheaper fees.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, another "Dollars and Cents" promotion. :rolleyes: Do they ever charge "regular price" for those two denominations? I'd think they'd come out further ahead just making the fee $10 permanently for both lines.

4. Thelivinglady

Thelivinglady Member

ANACS is reputable, but not in the same league as PCGS and NGC. However, their response time is terrible. I submitted about a dozen coins in early October and this is Jan. 8. Still have not received the grades, but have had it charged to my cc bill already. Had the same problem a couple of years ago. They need to get more graders. Time is money.

5. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

To clarify I was referring to ANACS' modern yellow holder, not modern coins. I know some collectors put more value on the older iterations of ANACS slabs.

Coins in question for those asking are a few prooflike (IMO) morgans, a '28 Peace, a proof Indian head, and a 1912 S Wheat.

6. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Depends one one's point of view, but I wouldn't regard that as a problem.

7. Jayyk38

Jayyk38 Member

I just sent in a few coins to ANACS for the 1st time. 2 seated halfs, 3 Morgan's, and a Peace Dollar. I'm very happy and they graded them on point. It's nice to have the option to have them put any Vam that's listed on the holder. It definately took about 2 months or so to get back but imo was a good experience. I'd go for it if I were you. My only wish is if ANACS would go back to the small old school holders!

8. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

This looks like a good place to "unload". I just tried to crossover 4 ASE's (all 70's); 1 ANACS and 3 ICG to PCGS. After waiting for over a month; they finally finish and none of the 4 coins would cross. I sent in one prior to this and it didn't cross either. Not happy at all and will NEVER submit a coin for crossover. It's a waste of money. If you are playing the registry set "game", in my case w/NGC, a coin must be either NGC or PCGS. A PCGS registry set must only be PCGS.

Draft saved Draft deleted