ANACS Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Prospector, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Prospector

Prospector Member

Is anyone having any problems sending coins to ANACS lately? I am sending my 1971 DDO-01 Lincoln Cent off for grading finally and was just wondering how service has been with ANACS these days compared to a few years ago, as per some of the post I have read about them from then.

This is my first submission ever.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Alot of people think they've gone downhill over the years.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well the number 1 grader is supposedly PCGS and of course some ppl think NGC is the number 1 grading company. ANACS is just as good as any of the others unless you plan on selling and what your objective is. If you just want a grade and you're gonna keep the coin ANACS is certainly good enough. I don't think (ANACS) it's gone downhill as a grading company goes, I think the other two have gone uphill and that in itself is a force to reckon with if you're a purist.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since that variety is gradable by both NGC and PCGS, I would pick one of them. I have used both for variety cents, and PCGS costs more for attribution, and on Lincolns tends ( IMO ) to grade about one grade lower than NGC. Usually the popularity of PCGS slabs tends to be neutralized by the one grade higher of NGC. If there is a big difference in the grading step, I usually use NGC.

Jim

6. Prospector

Prospector Member

Actually, I just picked ANACS because there is no membership fees.

As far as selling it? that is a possibility but only if it grades MS66.

I was just wondering if anyone was having trouble getting their coins graded and returned in a timely manner as contracted.

7. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

No but what anacs grades as a 66 might be 65 or possibly a 64 by ngc and pcgs standards.

8. Prospector

Prospector Member

I compared mine to one PCGS graded MS65 and is currently for sale on Heritage Auction Web Site and mine is in better condition. Who knows, maybe Anacs will grade mine MS67.

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Isnt that like trying to scam some one if you sell it, like trying to pass a anacs 67 up for what could be a normal 66 or 65. :(

10. Prospector

Prospector Member

it's in good shape.. I would sleep well knowing someone got a good coin.

That's if I sold it.

11. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Yea, but i would really reccomend just paying the membership fee for NGC because not only do you get grading, but if you do the 110 premium you get 5 free submissions, which pays for itself in the membership...Plus i think you would probably get more people (who know the top grading services) looking at your coin.

12. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

ANACS is really good for problem coins, varieties and errors. I believe ANACS offers more varieties on the label than the other services. And I think they do just as good of a job in grading. However, the marketplace has a bias towards PCGS and NGC. But that's marketing.

13. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

And 'a lot of people' just say that with no real experience.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's because there are a lot of people who do have the experience that say the same thing. The grading that ANACS does now is nowhere near what they used to do.

15. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

I don't know if NGC or PCGS is better. But PCGS seems to go for more money at times. I personally like the NGC slabs more, so they are my favorite.

16. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I think ANACS grades accurately, and their slabs are nice. I just sent a batch of coins to them. Plus I would never send anything to NGC.

Garrett

17. Prospector

Prospector Member

Thanks for the Input

Here's a few shots of the coin in question

Attached Files:

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why not?

Chris

19. Strikeluster

Strikeluster New Member

Yea, what Chris said, why not?

Steve

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Please tell us why you don't like NGC.

Chris

21. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Yes but can't that also be said of NGC and PGCS?

Draft saved Draft deleted