ANACS Photo Certificates

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zpalmer, May 8, 2014.

1. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Here are a couple of ANACS Photo Certificates I picked up last week. Although these are common dates, I believe the Certificates to be very rare.

Zac[​IMG][​IMG]

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

I haven't seen many of those in recent decades.

4. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I search ANACS auctions and lots ALL the time and rarely see the photocerts, im not into them due to having to store them, but I think they are pretty neat all the same.

5. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I believe both of these to be type 8 certificates. Anacs only made this type of certificate for a few weeks in early 1987. What makes these even more rare, I believe, is that they are also transfer certificates. These are the first transfer certificates of this type I have ever come across. If anyone has any other information about these, it would be much appreciated.

Zac

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

6. treylxapi47

Just out of curiosity, why would the be dated from 1981 and 1982 if they were graded in 1987?

7. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

What is a transfer certificate? Is it like a vehicle title?

8. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

The dates on these two certificates are the dates they were originally graded. When an Anacs photo certificate and its coin was sold, the coin and certificate could be resubmitted to Anacs and the new owners name placed on a new certificate. These coins were originally submitted on the dates on the certificate and purchased apparently in January 1987 and sent in for an ownership transfer. That's when these certificates were issued.

Zac

9. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

When transferred Anacs put the ** TRANSFER ** on the new certificate.

Zac

10. treylxapi47

Thanks, I didnt want to sound like a smart alleck for asking, but thanks for clearing it up and explaining it a little better.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I haven't seen any for at least 10 years probably longer . Thanks for showing them . I wonder what that coin would grade today by PCGS or NGC ?

12. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I have sent several in to ngc and pcgs and most generally come back at the same grade. Some a point higher and some a point lower, but the majority come back at the same grade.

rzage likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep look like ANACS 8T's, I have seen a couple before but that's about all. Transfer certificates are rare because although all the certificates were registered to a specific person, very few new owners ever bothered to return the certificates to ANACS to have the registration changed over.

zpalmer likes this.
  14. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Thanks Conder, have you ever seen an ANACS photo certificate with a DMPL designation?

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't think so, but I don't really pay much attention to the grades on the slabs/certificates. It just really isn't important to me.

16. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I was curious as to whether you thought there was such a designation in the old Anacs photo certificate.

17. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

[​IMG]

Decided to get capitol plastics to make some cases for my photo certificates

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That looks great!!!

19. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Here are some older examples of capitol cases.[​IMG]

20. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Those are very nice, I find it odd that there is not a current date on them (for transfer), but these are the first transfers type 8 I have ever seen. I thought type 8's came with the current date on them.
    Type 9 and 10 have no date on them.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If they had be submitted for grading it would have had the current date on it but these were Transfer certificates so they are just a new certificate with the new registered owner listed and the original grading date. No grading was done on the later date so it wasn't listed.

Draft saved Draft deleted