ANACS On Site

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am going to a local coin show in a few weeks that advertises ANACS will be on site for grading services. I have a few that I plan to take with me.... I have never used an on-site grading service before. Is the deal that literal? Do they grade and slab on the floor while I am shopping for other coins that need a loving home?

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I ran into that one time at a local show in Houston. The reps spent all their time visiting with their regular customers and never paid any attention to the mine run attendees. Good luck Randy.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Thanks Inspector. That is useful info.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They do not, at least at the local shows where I've seen them in attendance. The only advantages:
    • No shipping/insurance fee to get it to them (you still have to pay return P&I).
    • There's usually a show special price, although it's typically not better than online offers, and usually doesn't apply to gold or higher-value coins ($300 limit, I think?)
    • The ANACS rep can give you an "unofficial" opinion on whether a coin's worth submitting (the one time I relied on this, though, the rep turned out to be wrong).
    And yes, the wait for your turn can get kind of long.

They used to come only for the big June show here, but now they've started attending some of the smaller ones as well. I no longer pay any attention to them. The CoinTalk ICG special is superior IMHO (better per-coin price, no limit on coin value).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  6. Randy Abercrombie

That makes sense. Thanks, Jeff.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

I am assuming this is an Insider deal. Where can I investigate this further?

serafino, charley and Inspector43 like this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You just did. He will see this and get you on your way. PM him, he will tell you what to write on the Submission. You have to solve the Decoder Ring clue first, though.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You might try asking Insider.

While out normal and show rates have gone up a few bucks the $10 per coin deal still goes for all CT members. You must download the submission form and also include the name you use on CT along with your normal name and return info. Then mark on the submission form: Attention Skip, CT special $10 rate. Foreign coins or tokens are $12. Our turnaround time is about 10 working days.

serafino, MK Ultra, ldhair and 7 others like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Thanks Insider! I’ll take you up on that. I have a bevy of seated ladies that would appreciate their own holder.

serafino and Inspector43 like this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh damn, I thought they were here on this site. Never mind, I'll go stand in the corner, but judging by the title of the thread, I thought that it could behaps be true.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nothing wrong with ICG.......ya got old randy "Insider" at your back.....:)

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

PCGS and NGC are the only two companies that I have seen grade at a show. And this usually is only at the bigger shows. I have tried both out at the ANA show. In those cases you had to submit before a certain deadline in order to get the coins back before the end of the show. There was also an express option (same day) but that was super expensive. The regular PCGS option was still pricey at $70 per coin. NGC was less expensive.

Anacs I have just heard the same as jeffB mentioned-they take submissions back to the office (saves you shipping one way but still takes just as long as a normal mailed submission).

ldhair and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I have used NGC, PCGS, and ANACS. I have only used NGC for actual on site grading.

I like PCGS and NGC and old ANACS holders. Otherwise, screw ANACS and their ugly yellow holders, and from my experience, their quality control is garbage. Just my opinion.

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I've cracked open ANACS, NGC and PCGS slabs. I've yet to crack open an ICG slab. In my opinion the NGC ones are the easiest to crack open.

What @-jeffB said agrees with what I have witnessed (but not partaken of) at local shows.

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree as I've used their services before, if I have something to grade I'll sign it over to them at the show as it definitely saves some money! thumbsup.gif

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

ANACS and ICG set up at the small shows. ANACS tables are often manned by collectors on the ANACS payroll who work the shows and take submissions. ANACS GRADERS are only at certain shows. ICG always has a GRADER at any show they do. We do not have part time collectors accepting coins at any show. It would probably be a good idea.

Maxfli, -jeffB and ddddd like this.
  18. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Thank You for the info, I had no idea this was available

19. Randy Abercrombie

I sent mine in to ICG Thursday. Almost felt like I was stealing it was so inexpensive.

Dan Galbato, ddddd and -jeffB like this.
  20. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

I had to send an ICG graded coin back for a new slab last year! I was very pleased with the full experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted