ANACS old holder 1883-O MS64DMPL

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, May 20, 2017.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Just wanted to add a few tidbits about the UDM at Anacs.

(1)
    Ultra Deep Mirror

"At ANACS, Ultra Deep Mirror dollars are required to have a minimum of 12 inches of clear reflectivity in the fields on both sides of the coin. Such coins will exhibit mirrors that ARE DEEPER THAN MOST PROOF MORGAN DOLALRS!"

http://www.nationalsilverdollarroundtable.org/mirror-surface-morgan-dollars-part-xii-xiii/

(2)
    An example once offered by David Lawrence. Note the description: "Ultra deep mirrors and it deserves the designation."

https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/234191/1882-cc-$1-anacs-ms63-udm/

(3)
    PCGS forum discussion. Note how multiple people praise the UDM. I do see that the last poster has examples that returned as altered. That is concerning, but the other TPGs have also had issues with borderline coins.

https://forums.collectors.com/discu...ave-any-old-anacs-udm-slabbed-morgans-to-post

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

ANACS is not regarded as a top tier grading service. There are nice coins in ANACS holders, but I find their grading consistent with a lower tier grading service.

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I like how you handled your self professionally, but i wont......
    For our readers> disregard the opinion of this Morgan dude, he is obviously biased toward the almighty PCGS, they can do no wrong ....Anacs on the other hand is a bottom tier grading company, according to this guy.

Yea, NO..... This is so wrong idk where to even start here..... Anacs small white holders are as good, if not better than the top 2.
    Anacs UDM holder Morgans , will not only crossover, but will cross at a higher grade, on account of the acrossed the room reflectivity, displayed by the coin contained w/in. This coin is no exception, and i guess, i, too, respectively agree, to disagree.... Some people just like to hear themselves talk

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This is a myth at this point. While the small white holders are their best generation, they have been heavily picked over the best coins have been resubmitted overwhelmingly.

Saying that everyone will upgrade is again false. Not even every single one would cross much less upgrade. They aren't trash, but they are no where close to automatic

Really both of you expressed extreme opinions about them on opposite sides of the spectrum. The real truth lies between

6. heavycam.monstervam

I am in agreement, i actually jumped the gun here. I shouldnt have made these statements as absolute facts. I DO think that a UDM anacs would never come back PL though.
    I stand by that, imo ofcourse

I dont think ALL the old Anacs have been picked over though

7. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think this is one of the rare occasions Dave is wrong. UDM is a different ballgame altogether.

8. Sean5150

Here's my two UDM Morgans. There's no luster at all, only mirrors. IMG_1960 2.JPG

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Isn't this also true with OGH and Fatty's?

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

ANACS UDMs are hard to find, because they were generally very high quality. They are either held in tight hands, or have since been crossed to PCGS/NGC. As mentioned, ANACS had 3 levels:

ANACS PL varies quite a bit. I've bought a few of them - some of them crossed to NGC as PL, some of them were semi-prooflike at best. The significant advantage they have over PCGS is that, like NGC, they were willing to designate any series as PL if it was mirrored enough.

ANACS DMPL is also variable - some are DPL, some are PL. They're noticeably deeper than the PL, but its a toss-up whether it will cross or not.

ANACS UDM invariably has very deep mirrors. The ones I've been fortunate enough to see had very deep reflectivity. I've never questioned if they would cross at DPL.

ddddd likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

I have seen MANY not cross as DMPL, with PCGS, and NGC. I have seen all cross as PL, but many not as DMPL. Sorry to be contradictory, but it is what I have observed. Getting a PCGS cross with current tough standards is particularly difficult.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's some that won't for sure. But if they were sent cross at grade there is no way to tell if it didn't cross because of the designation or the numerical grade

13. Sean5150

I doubt you have seen any UDMs not cross based on reflectivity. I think you are referring to DMPL. I could be wrong, but even still I just don't believe it.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  14. Morgandude11

I sent one of mine in for crossover, and it came back as the same grade, but PL, instead of DMPL. I wanted it in a PCGS holder, and it crossed for grade, but not as a DMPL.

15. heavycam.monstervam

Well i guess im from Missouri then:peeking:

Draft saved Draft deleted