ANACS old holder 1883-O MS64DMPL

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, May 20, 2017.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this coin? It's up on eBay now. I've read that the old ANACS holders are reliable but that they were lenient on DMPL. The 64 seems legit but not sure how to judge DMPL from these images.

IMG_1715.PNG IMG_1716.PNG IMG_1717.PNG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

It looks ok, but the images are difficult to judge.
    That seller is known to use scans/mediocre images. They do accept returns, so you can take that into consideration.

In general, the Anacs slabs that had "UDM" were the strongest (Ultra Deep Mirror Prooflike). The pictured holder is a 7 digit white Anacs, which would place it later in the timeframe of these holders. That might actually be a good thing since pl/dmpl standards were less strict earlier.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You can't judge DMPL from those images but I would not buy from that seller.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

As @ldhair mentioned, that seller is known to be a good grader (they won a PCGS competition). However, a lot of what is sold is in NNC (self graded), ICG, or Anacs holders. If these coins had a chance of crossing to PCGS or NGC, the seller would not be leaving money on the table. Of course everyone can miss a few coins and one can find decent offerings from any seller, just do not go in expecting a great bargain.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Mark Metzger

Great feedback everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help from this forum.

ddddd likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

PL, DCAM ect is more strict now

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Would not grade DMPL by PCGS or NGC standards today. Nice coin, but would grade PL.

9. Mark Metzger

I held off. It ended up selling for $270. I have a real hankering for a DMPL coin but I also like a great deal!?!? What to do?

10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Exactly what you did. Pass until you find the right one!

Definitely target a newer slab like others have said. I have a "PL" rattler and it's not prooflike at all.

Santinidollar and Dynoking like this.
  11. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

If went for $270, and does not appear DMPL then at $270 you would be in no mans land. Stick to NGC and PCGS for DMPL's. PCGS would by far be preferred.

talkcoin and Morgandude11 like this.
  12. Morgandude11

If you like a great deal, forget about DMPLs. Real, nice looking ones cost far more than the ballpark in which you are aiming. You are not going to find a decent PCGS or NGC DMPL for $270-350. Like toned coins, they are a specialty market. Demand is high, relative to other Morgans, and they are fairly uncommon. Throw away any price guides on a very nice specimen. If you are really serious, look in the $500 ballpark, or be prepared to compromise a lot.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

You can find a nice dmpl in an Anacs holder. Look for the UDM, like here.
    This one cost a bit under $200.

IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_5033.JPG
    IMG_5035.JPG

14. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

No Morgan is safe IMO in ANY older plastic from the top two TPG's without a CAC sticker. That said...even that's not safe if you try and crack and submit raw. Listen to @blu62vette because he is correct and is an Expert with these things ;)

15. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

Holy Moly that coin is SICK @ddddd :hungry:

ddddd likes this.
  16. Morgandude11

That coin is also PL. it is an extremely nice PL coin, with some baggy quality. Lots of reflectivity, but not that much cameo. It is a PCGS PL. $400-500 is the entry ante up for that poker game, unless one wants a baggy, low grade DMPL, with minimum eye appeal.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is baggy, but it is dmpl. The mirrors are strong. I have some newly slabbed PCGS pl coins and this Anacs is much stronger. My pictures aren't enhanced like many sellers, but if I tried I could make the picture show that black and white look you see in multiple enhanced photos.

18. Morgandude11

It is a very nice PL coin. Would not certify as a PCGS or NGC DMPL. That is why it was sent to ANACS. They are more lenient on the designation.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

At the time this was graded, NGC and PCGS were just as lenient on pl/dmpl. Plus Anacs actually had three designations: PL, DMPL, and UDM. To garner the UDM designation, the mirrors had to be stronger than a DMPL. Neither PCGS nor NGC went that far.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  20. Morgandude11

Sorry, you are wrong. It would end up just like that MS 65 1879s you posted-- close, but no cigar. Your coin is quite nice, but would, in my experience, not be graded the same by NGC or PCGS. I know you like your coin, and this isn't an attack on it. What I am stating is that people throw around the DMPL designation too readily. A real DMPL in hand jumps out at you, just like a proof strike does. Let's put this into perspective.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll agree to disagree.:p

Draft saved Draft deleted