Anacs in my cross hairs.... :(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As many of you know I am a variety collector. I have used Anacs in the past with no issues.
    I use them not because I love the banana yellow slab but they are the primary TPG that will note on the slab the variety. NGC and PCGS only note certain varieties....well to me as a variety collector I want my find or discovery noted on the slab.
    I sent in 10 coins as for the grades I am not unhappy not at all...yeah sure I like some higher but knowing what I sent in and grades I received again I believe them to be near spot on what I would grade.
    I sent in 2 1938 D buffalos nickels noted on the form and paid for such.
    Most of you who know me ....know I can nail an omm or rpm on a 38 D buffalo in a blinding snow storm!
    I sent in an 1961 toned Proof Franklin which is a ddo wasn't noted on the slab paid for the variety .
    I did call customer service as I sent in an 1939 proof Jefferson Nickel that was an ddo and ddr variety and the rep at the show did not note it on the form.
    I was told it was corrected on the computer and the variety would be noted and I be charged the cost...NP I want the notation on the slab.
    I received my grades tonight and no varieties noted!:(
    Yes I am human and that said can make mistakes....yeah true dat....not on these 4 items no way or how....
    Suggestions? The coins are shipped...
    Oh another issue I had was yes sent them in on the fall special ,got free ship out paid for return. I also included a coupon I had 5 for an up grade in service....ha! Ah...no as for 2 weeks now my grades were going to hit on Friday..... starting the Friday 14 days ago!
    Then oh the coins are in quality assurance.....and will be done last Friday and truth be told today is Tuesday some 16 days later.
    Again the buffalos are a no brainer....
    The 1939 Proof Jefferson rev of 38 a no brainer
    The 61 proof Franklin a $25 coin sent in why? The variety of course....61 proof Franklins are a dime a dozen.....not worth the fees except this one is toned and the ddo.
    Ok I'm done...what next... ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Call customer service and explain what happened. You'll have to reach someone that understands the issue and they should offer to fix the holders (add the varieties) for free.

Best of luck! Let us know what happens.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Paddy54 Wow, what a mess. I'd say stop with the phone customer rep and demand you speak to a person as high up the ladder as you can go. Don't stop there, tell them you are thinking about writing an op-ed piece on TPG's and their differences for Dave Harper at Numismatic News. ( As opposed to a letter to the editor, which might never see print) Mention you are on Coin Talk also and if you don't get satisfaction you will do a piece here on their nonsense. A few choice, thinly veiled threats will work wonders. And don't forget to mention you might be thinking of changing TPG's if this is not corrected asap. No different than bargaining with credit card issuers for lower interest rates. I have a lot going out soon on their fall special that includes my discovery LP3 Lincoln Cent WDDR-030 that better not get messed up or I'll be following my own advice. Let us know how you make out. Tom

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Well again I am human....but again the 4 varieties noted above no way did I make a mistake!
    You know I have quite a reference libary as well numerous web book marks referring to varieties.
    That said I don't care if it cost $7 @ coin or 35 I'm not going to send in a variety that I am not 100% certain.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I know you are on top of your game. That's why I would go to the top instead of starting at the bottom. I don't think I'm any where in your league and that's a compliment. When I'm not sure I just send to Wexler, a whole lot cheaper for me than making a $35.00 mistake.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

So...what you're saying is that the coins' grades have posted, but no varieties were listed online? I'm just curious if maybe they just don't type in the varieties for the online version of your grade results (but they will be on the slab.)

It's been quite a while since I sent anything to ANACS, so I'm not sure how they work any more. Can you check the serials online - do they post the slab images for cert verification like NGC/PCGS?

I'm thinking this is the most likely scenario and a quick phone call will clear it up.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Could very well be but my last order confirmation online about 6 months ago did include the varieties, of they were all varieties. But I'm not sure about listing "Discovery" and name as I've not tried that yet but will be doing so this next sending.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Paddy54

I did go on line only to find the same results as sent in the email with grades and tracking number.
    Yes a phone call will be made around 10 am est tomorrow lol

10. Paddy54

Ok so I did go and pull all the coin numbers no varieties were noted.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd be inclined to wait until I have all of them back in my hands. I'd look at what they said and I'd check the coin to be sure. I'm not questioning you but either you or they made a mistake.

Mistakes happen and can be corrected. If they are in error, you have now confirmed that. Write a letter explaining what is wrong noting each slab with a Post-It note if necessary and send back to them for correction. Best wishes.

12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Last show I attended, Anacs want 7 dollar extra for varieties that you knew what they were . 12 dollars if Anacs had to research the variety .

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Correct and on each their variety numbers were noted as well as research sorce of said numbers and variety.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  14. Paddy54

On 2 of these specimens the correct variety as well the grade they have assigned ,can change the coins value by as much as $600! That said the $7 cost is a no brainer, and was paid at the time the coins were sent in.

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe a bit cheaper at a show? Their latest form now says $9.00 for attribution if you are, of course, correct on your own attribution. I'm not really too good with die markers, some being so very small and am glad I sent my two 1995 LHC to John first as he verified them both as WDDO-001A, something I might have missed but he also verified them as EDS which was a bonus. Now I have his letter to confirm this when I send them in.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No you call immediately so you can get the problem looked into and corrected before they ship them back to you. Sure if they get back and they are wrong they will fix it for free, but you have all the extra time waiting and someone has to pay for the extra shipping back and forth. If you call they can get it fixed and THEN ship them back.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

I called Anacs.....and I am not happy at all....I guess you get what you paided for.
    I just placed a call less than 20 minuites ago.
    I was hung up on 4 times before I got to the operator or customer service.
    The woman said she was going to look up my order.
    The next thing I know some guy answers...so I begin to address my concerns...first customer service telling me that my order was in quality assurance since 9/12 and I was told my order would be done on 9/14, then I called again and was told they were having issues and They would be done on 9/21, and of course they weren't done till yesterday.
    Again I have no idea whom this guy I am talking to is....he didn't seem to be in customer service....so he pulls up my order and begins to say I was wrong on each account. And that there would be notations on my order when I recieve it.
    I asked calmly I like to know ow since you're looking at them on your computer.
    He got very nasty! I said look I've been collecting over 50 + years.
    And that that the items I noted on the coin for their attributions came from Variety vista, Franklin lovers , and Wexlers site.
    I then said Again I like to know what the notations are? He would not answer.
    I said look I paid you to do a service paid extra to get the attributions added to my slabs...he said we are not the company for you! No one tells us what we put on our slabs! I said well I paid good money, and I know that the attributions are correct.
    He kept saying well I guess we are done.... I'm like what do you mean....? His reply we are done! I said I guess so! So maybe I will write a letter to error scope and coneca as well to other's I know telling them that Anacs experts do not recognize the variety and attributions that they list. He sez were done! I said I guess you're correct we are done!

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Did you pay by credit card? if you did you could dispute the charge because services paid for were not performed.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. Paddy54

So a word to the wise.... you get what you pay for #1 . Next they don't honor their own coupons given in another deal last year with no experation date to use to up grade their service to the next tier.
    So they offer you a service at a discount, and cannot deliver in a timely manner.
    You call customer service and get lied to..... it took 4 days to get a reply by email over a issue they had not allowing me to log on their site.

You know I have been a advocate for Anacs for Years! Have used them more so then PCGS, or NGC. And must admit the other two TPG never gave me the run around.
    One of the specimens in the grade it received is a $200 coin had they given it the correct attribution as it was D/D would make the coin a $800. Coin!
    There are quite a fee members here have come to me on several occasions to ask me to attribute their coins. Quite a few members here call me or email me regularly to ask....me questions. I've never have claimed to be an expert....but over the last 50 plus years I know enough now to say save your money and use one of the other TPG graders. As Anacs wants your money but not your business, as yes they are under priced when compared to the other two companies.
    But when you shop the bargains you get seconds...
    I've never experienced such poor customer service in all my years no matter what the concerns were.....sad very sad....

20. Paddy54

Yes and that is the next step...and I thank you for you concerns and support.it is very much appreciated thanks!

21. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ah jeeze what a mess. Im only about an hours drive from ANACS, want me to go down there and start start a scene with their customer service? Maybe spray paint "ICG is better" on their door lol:hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted