ANACS Conservation Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ilmcoins, Jun 24, 2021.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I'm curious....

Is there a pre-screener that looks for coins that qualify for conservation services upon ANACS receipt of the coins (when you initial that box) OR do coins go straight to the graders and then the grader kicks them over to conservation only to receive them back when complete?

OR do the graders do it all?

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Piggybacking on these original questions to ask/learn the same for NGC conservation since it was asked about ANACS...the how/when in the process, if the same as ANACS, for comparison, etc. Hope that's ok since the same questions...just about a different TPG and figured better/easier to kill two birds with one stone by experts and experiences. Thanks.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The lightbulb went off for a conservation service (NCS) at NGC when I removed some copper spots from a $10 Indian and the grade was raised. I did another coin later that day. Later, a fancy lab was set up in the new building we moved to. By then folks could send coins to NCS directly before they went to the grading room.

On a few occasions in the beginning the experienced professionals told me to conserve a coin I didn't want to touch because I "knew" it could not be fixed. The coins came out beautifully. We all pay for this type of knowledge when we send coins to a major TPGS.

PS NCS came first. Obviously the initial posters in this thread had no idea :( that IGC began conserving coins for FIVE BUCKS after I left NCS.
    :D

Mac McDonald likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They both do conservation before grading. The major difference between the two processes is NGC will actively recommend coins for conservation during the grading process even if you don’t select it where ANACS and PCGS won’t do it unless you submit them as such.

It’s a double edge sword with NGC where on one hand it’s nice they recommend it, but on the other hand they now have an incentive to do so

6. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

ANACS charges $39 to conserve up to 20 coins from a single submittal. If they conserve none of the coins submitted they keep the $39 regardless. I don't mind this way.

Draft saved Draft deleted