ANACS coin prices/value?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kent, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Kent

Kent Junior Member

I was wondering how ANACS coin prices compared to PCGS prices listed on their web site. I bought an ANACS coin and when I looked at the PCGS price list I was shocked at how much they had theirs valued at. Mine is a Kennedy Half 1966 Graded MS67. I don't know about grading but the coin came today and is very nice I don't have the ability to post pictures yet but my wife is going to teach me (fingers crossed) soon. I bought the coin for less than the Silver value so I can't get hurt, but I am still curious how big a differance there is for future referance. Thanks Kent

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

Well..first off a general rule is different companies have different standards of grading. While ANACAS is a very reputable they have an arguably less scrupulous to NGC or PCGS, and then PCGS is considered more scrupulous than NGC (IN SOME ASPECTS) haha don't wna start an argument....generally the PCGS pricing is always high, a good source is past auctions, Numismedia, HA.com, ebay sold, the price/value of a coin can vary even within a grade, but if you can post a picture later I'm sure someone here could help with the price of your specific coin.

4. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

You got that coin for less than melt? Considering that the melt value of that coin is only $2.10 I would have to say you got a steal. I'm sure it cost the previous owner far more than that just to send the coin into ANACS for certification. Btw, according to Numismedia, a 1966 Kennedy 50¢ in MS-66 lists for $250. There's no listing on their website for MS-67.

5. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

ANACS is a very rspectible TPG'r, however they had specialized in problem (Details) coins that others wouldn't have touched before. That doesn't mean that they grade any higher or lower than the other 2 topTPGs, NGC and PCGS. Just that they will grade a problem coin.

When PCGS would BodyBag your coin with no grade or reason they would not slab it and send it back to you with everything unresolved. Now they will slab it as Genuine with a numerical code for, cleaned, altered surfaces. scratched etc. That at least tells you you coin is NOT a Chinese Forgery.

I believe that all top TPGrs will grade your coin with "Detail", such as scrarched, cleaned, altered surfaces etc. Except for PCGS which will just say GENUINE with a numerical denotation in the 90's meaning Real but not good enough (FOR THEM) to put a true grade on.

Bruce, Bruce ( I think I just re-re-repeated myself-self again.

6. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

Hm..I actually never realized that before thanks, so like if a coin is XF45 detail, but has been cleaned will they grade it XF45 Cleaned, instead of Genuine?

7. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

It depends on the coin. In some series, some grades there isn't much difference. In some other series, in upper grades, there sometimes a big, big difference. Best to check the auction archives on the major sites (Heritage, Teletrade, Ebay) for the coins you are interested in before spending the big money, or selling an expensive inherited coin. There will always be a variance in price depending on quality, however, a person can look at some average prices in the archives to see what the average difference is.

8. Kent

Kent Junior Member

I won it on Ebay so I just got lucky I guess. I don't bid a lot on coins I can't see a real good picture of. Who am i kidding I can't afford to bid a lot. My Grandpa told me "A poor man has poor ways" well I don't know enough yet to go out on a limb even that is whete the fruit it. Thanks for posting. Kent

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Can you get the link to the eBay auction and post it here or grab the pics the seller posted and post them here until you can make and post your own pics.

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

The good thing about ANACs and others like ICG(assuming you learn to grade) is that you can get some nice coins at good prices. The best is when you get a ANACs coin that is as nice as any PCGS or NGC coin of the same grade, but for a good percentage less than coins in those holders. Just my humble opinion.

11. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

ANACS historically seems to be a bit looser in grading modern coins than PCGS and NGC. It's possible it is accurately graded but in many cases I would bet it downgrades a point or two if sent to PCGS or NGC. There is a reason that high grade modern coins sell for much more in PCGS plastic.

CAC refuses to look at ANACS coins after determining such a high percentage of the ones they had seen would not meet CAC standards. They did not want people to waste time and money sending them. (Granted this is only for pre-'64 coins but I think it is a general rule of thumb)

12. Kent

Kent Junior Member

How do I do That Krusty? My kids are not home LOL. If you tell me how I will try.

13. Kent

Kent Junior Member

OOPS I said Krusty not Krispy, see I can't even type. :(

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Go to the auction link, copy the URL, come back here to the thread, type in your post, highlight some text, click the little globe with chainlink icon that you see in the posting tools, paste the auction url, click OK and it's inserted into the thread.

or you could just post the entire url in text form in the post box.

for the image used in the auction, you need to either save the image to your computer then upload that in similar fashion, only this time you use the 'go advanced' button and follow the manage attachments dialog box... or you click the add image icon (little yellow box with mountain in it, next to the globe chainlink icon), and insert the image url if you can get that off the auction site. I prefer uploading the image you have saved from your computer in case the link is broken later

15. CrustyCoins

Oh well I'll confuse things by having Krusty answer your question. :)

On the e-bay page where you won the auction, on the top addres bar select the address that starts out with http://www............, right click it and select copy. Then come back here and just right click in a reply to this thread and past the link.

That's about it.

16. CrustyCoins

Krispy, we have to stop answering posts at the same time. :)

17. krispy

krispy krispy

:D All for the common good. :bow:

18. krispy

krispy krispy

19. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

That's a nice coin for a dollar eighty two plus shipping. I would've grabbed that one myself for that price.

20. Kent

Kent Junior Member

21. Kent

Kent Junior Member

Yep that's it how did you do that I never saw that kind of picture when i bid on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted