ANACS and Daniel Carr

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, Jun 9, 2012.

1. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

^^ Same problem here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I would call them
    Phone Number
    1-800-888-1861

4. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

5. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Tell me about it. With the flood of Chinese fakes, predatory dealers, U.S. Mint schlock,TV cons, and ebay crooks, it seems strange to me to bash what I see as a particularly bright spot in this hobby. So he over-struck some junk silver coins, I guess he should be hanged on the spot.

Camreno likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Thad, I don't dislike the artist part, its purely his choice of material. His original work is well worth the acclaim, but to copy other artist's work with minor changes ( if the particular dated coin has not 'really' been minted) I feel is wrong. Ethically it is like a painting forgery artist painting a 'new' canvas using Picasso's style over a properly aged and prepared canvas by someone else, and assuming it is not a violation. Sure some can figure it out, but many would be fooled.

7. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

What? So you just said DC is attempting to deceive?

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No. He did not say that. He said that due to the subject matter of the overstrikes that "some" people could be fooled in thinking that they are real money.

Which they are.

Other people who have say, 3 or 4 million bucks to piss away, might think that they are being offered a 1 of a kind authentic and original 1964-D Peace Dollar that was legally traded for at the Denver Mint (not) and then later spent at a local bar because the fella that went through the trouble of acquiring the coin got tired of it (another not).

Or that they've come across a very rare 1965-D Peace Dollar Trial Strike in their Uncles Safe Deposit box after their coin collecting Uncle passed away.

The "possibilities" are as endless as the reasons for disliking DC's works without thought for the fact that some folks just like to collect them. (Kinda like I like Eisenhower Dollars while others just do not understand why I would spend $3,400 for something they could have gotten at the bank for a buck!)

Each to their own.

BTW, I do not disparage ANACS for slabbing DC's work since I know for a fact that the supposed "Top TPG's" will do anything for a buck.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

I had a call today from Paul A. DeFelice, Vice President, Marketing and Client Relations. He fixed my login problem instantly and suggested that I drop my Carr pieces at the next Auburn coin show for submission, which I will do!

10. commems

commems New Member

I've purchased DC's "1975" silver bicentennial series (overstruck Ike dollar, Kennedy half and Washington quarter) and have had the dollar and half certified/encapsulated by ANACS. I requested the special DC/Moonlight Mint insert and am happy with both "coins."

I will be dropping off the quarter later this week at the ANACS table at the big Raleigh, NC show this weekend.

11. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I think the unsuspecting millionaire getting duped into buying one of these coins as real argument is similar to the dont walk outside because you might get hit by a meteor argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted