ANA Summer Seminar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

My trip to Colorado Springs and the ANA Headquarters

WOW, what a trip! If your into numismatics then that is a trip you'll have to take. And from what I noticed if you take it once you'll be taking it again. There were so many people that had gone both weeks and had gone 5 years, 9 years, even 21 years in a row it was amazing.
    I can see why too. I'm going to do my best to go every year if I can.

This will all be based on a 1 week visit. And if you can/do get 2 weeks then it's the same thing all over again.

Class's

You get your pick of a 5 day class or 2-2day class's. It seems that most go the first time for the beginner grading class and just look at thousands of coins all graded by NGC or PCGS. The grades are covered up and your tested then the grades are revealed and a discussion on why the grades are what they are. There is a test at the end that sounded tough.
    There is also a intermediate and advanced class for the same thing. There are actual graders from the big TPG'ers there to teach with other great teachers.

Many people that have been there go with other class's of course like the Counterfeit detection class where they show you tons of fakes and how to see them and why.

Minting Mayheim is where there is a actual press and they make coins/tokens and get to keep what they make.

There was a class with a mint engraver there that made molds that I heard was a very good class.

And if you like Paper...well there' a Mexico paper money class, Paper Money Grading class and Confederate States class...

I could go on but you can look, pick and plan by going to the ANA website MONEY.ORG

BULL SESSIONS

On top of the class's there are Bull Sessions that are like a presenter that gives a topic, talks a bit about it then opens the room up for discussion. These sessions are in the evening after your class.

There were tons of them from: The history of the ANA, Collecting Food Coupons, Banknotes x20, to Lie, Cheat and Steal-the dirty side of Numismatics

YN Auction

There's an auction that had some great stuff and all of it was donated to the YN's (young numismatists). They worked hard on it and it went great. I think it was $30k that got raised and that money goes to giving more YN's Scholarships to next year. Not did the auction make a lot of cash but it was down right funny. I'd tell more about it but I dont want to spoil it if you get to go!

Accomidations

You can get a dorm room and food pass for your stay. The rooms dont have air or private bathrooms but it's not really hot there as your at 6k feet elevation. All the people staying there were other numismatists and the conversations were great! The food was very diverse and you always had choices. I never went away hungary for sure.
    If you want you can get a hotel and eat off of campus too. So it's totally up to you.

Off time

If you have any off time, although we all seemed to keep rather busy, they have the city's coin show going on at the same time and they will shuttle you there and back. Or you can go to the Lunar Lounge for some drinks with plenty of Numismatists that is a great time.

ANA Headquarters

At the headquarters (which is right there) they have and 1804 Dollar....and that's not all :D There is plenty of currency and a special display on Civil War at the moment. There's the Bebe collection of Paper Money oh and yea there's this room that's just chalk full of Pattern's. They are just so darn nice to look at!

Then there's the Library. You can check out books there that are very rare and all you have to do is pay shipping to your home and back. They even had a Book Sale with plenty of great titles there that as the seminar went on just became a steal of a deal. 75% off of their original stickered price that they gave. I had to ship a whole box on it's own back to me full of books :D
    I guess that's a good problem to have.

Tours

They also offer special outings such as a trip to the top of Pikes Peak. And seeing you are right there looking at it every day that's a good one.
    A major league baseball game Rockies vs Cardinals.
    Or a private Mint tour of the Denver Mint where you go on the actual floor and need security clearance.

Summary

Well I have had many a vacation and however they are all pretty much a good time this one being my myself was still outstanding (like you couldn't tell). I'd recommend it to any and all that love coins as they have it so the most novice to the most advanced have stuff to do and learn. I mean some of the teachers are Ken Bressett (from the Red Book) or Fred Swan (from the MCP Book). These guys are right there and ready to talk all about their trades.

Well I hope to see you all there next year :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Art

Art Numismatist?

Nice report. Glad that you enjoyed it and shared your experience with us. It's something I've always wanted to do but haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. Duke Kavanaugh

I was like that for awhile but not this time finally :D

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That was a good read, glad you had fun!

6. Duke Kavanaugh

It did sound like i did didn't it :D

7. moneyseemoneydo

moneyseemoneydo Junior Member

A+ on your report! Thanks for the info and insight. I have yet to hear anything negative from anyone who's gone.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Well heres one then...it's a wake up call going back to a dorm room with no air conditioning and shared showers. But then again you can stay off campus.

9. moneyseemoneydo

moneyseemoneydo Junior Member

Sure, but it's nothing a few wet wipes and few large bushes behind the building couldn't solve. Even so, I know what you're saying..... and I can see the slight negative in that.
    Future note to self: attend ANA summer seminar but don't drop the soap- cause nobody wants to see that.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

lol it was nothing like that at all...the showers were actually seperate with curtians...

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sounds like you had a heck of a good time Duke. I've only been a member of the ANA for 4 years but the lure of attending summer seminar has lingered with me ever since I joined. What a marvelous opportunity and experience you have had. If I ever get the opportunity to attend rest assured I will be there.

12. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Duke, another excellent write-up on the summer seminar program. Each year I hope to attend, and something comes up, but I will make it there, hopefully next year. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!!

Draft saved Draft deleted