ANA Membership Numbers Skyrocketing(!)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by princeofwaldo, Sep 15, 2020.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I'm one of those guys who always reads the obits and membership statistics in the Numismatist each month. What seemed like an anecdotal increase in membership levels early in the year has become nothing short of a stampede the last several months, now solidly up over 20% year-to-date. A thousand new members added just between the September and October issues.

I don't think it is purely a corona virus thing or the result of surging precious metals prices either. I believe it is a fundamental increase in numismatic interest, driven by a desire to acquire tangible items in a world that has seen how phony and inadequate the "virtual existence" that has been forced upon us really is.

Overall, it can only be a huge plus for the hobby, especially for those whose livelihood is hobby dependent. It also serves as warning that money spent on anything "virtual" (including education) might be very misguided as the hobby enters what may well be a 21st century renaissance.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Wonder how many were to get the "free" ASE.

stairstars likes this.
  4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I joined because of the Free Membership offer. Most likely I'll stick around and pay when it expires. :)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

is it still being offered?

6. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I think it was a one week deal in April as part of Coin Week. I've been a member since '98 - hands down one of the best investments collectors can make to better understand the hobby we are all in.

Draft saved Draft deleted