ANA Grading Standards Book

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Apr 6, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi all. Do you know if there's a difference between the blue and the orange cover versions of the 7th edition of the ANA Grading Standards book? From their covers, I don't see any difference except that the blue one says it's in full color. Thanks.
    Screenshot_20210406-005109.png Screenshot_20210406-005041.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't know about the second one but the one in Color is Excellent . I use it every week for grading . It's a little detailed but that's what you want , right ?
    I would recommend it hands down !

AuldFartte and JeffC like this.
  4. JeffC

I think I'll just get the 6th edition. It's only $3.99. :)

5. JeffC

Yeah.. I remember seeing your post about this once or twice and I made a note to buy one. Can't afford the 7th edition though.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

My book , the one in color was around $14.95 I think . My wife got it for Xmas . There are Used one's out there too . Wizard Supply has them NEW for $14.99 right now .

JeffC likes this.
  7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It is funny that you posted this because I was just looking for my copy! I seem to have lost it in my room and I'm am going to get killed for losing it.

JeffC likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Color photos wouldn't make a bit of difference to me unless I was grading @paddyman98 metal detector finds.

JeffC, green18 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. JeffC

Thanks. But they want $12.95 for shipping. Smokes. For my purpose, I think I'll start with a used 6th edition for $3.99 and free shipping too. Can't beat that. The 6th edition was published in 2005 so it won't have a lot of the modern coins but I'm okay with that. Thanks for all your efforts Sal.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

You can not afford 15 bucks for a standard text, but you collect coins? Seems to me you will need those modern aditions in the new text...

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Probably just like the red and blue book, the red version for collectors grading, blue book for dealer grading.

THIS IS A JOKE!

hahahaha just in case anyone doesn't realize it m'kay?

I think the red cover is a stock photo that was used before the 7th edition was finalized and used the color of the 6th edition. I don't find this picture anywhere for sale of actual item except as a stock photo.

could be a first print run though..... I think the stock image "mock up" before they settled on the final appearance is the best bet though. Whitman doesn't list it in the red cover, I think it's a prototype before finalization.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    JeffC likes this.
  12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nothing wrong with getting the older edition, IMO, especially since you understand the possible limitations. If you ever need to grade some of the modern coins, you can always look them up online. I tend to use the TPG sites for MS coins, but still use my old ANA guide (1990's edition?) for the circulated grades (if I'm unfamiliar with the series). Heck, I even have a copy of Brown and Dunn as well as Photograde on my bookshelf

JeffC likes this.
  13. JeffC

Yeap, I was thinking along the same lines. I believe I can still learn a lot from the 6th edition.

14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Unless you are going to become a grader at a TPG, I guess you really don't need the ANA book. But it's a good read -- I have it -- and it always pays to keep your skills sharp.

Again, the book was for a different era, pre-Internet....nowadays, you can just look at hundreds of hi-def pics online and see grading comments or see if you get the grade right yourself with your own skills.

I guess if you adhere TOO STRICTLY to the book, though, you might be "undergrading" coins. :D

John Burgess likes this.
  15. JeffC

Speaking of the net, I've always wonder why they don't have soft copies of the Red Book (or do they?). The hard copy is getting really bulky and with all the commemoratives issued annually, soon they'll be 5" thick. LOL.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Besides my 1970 for historical reasons, my only Red Book purchase is the 2014 with spiral binder. Probably holds togther better than a hardcover.

It's 447 pages with 62 pages for commemoratives.

JeffC likes this.
  17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Not showing is the Mega red book. This is just a few. Not as big a library as some of the folks here have but works for me so far... 20190328_064612.jpg

GoldFinger1969 and JeffC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted