ANA Denver Commemorative Piedfort Pandas: 21g short on silver

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Sep 21, 2017.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

When I was at the ANA show in Denver, the Chinese coin booth (as Panda America) was offering some commemorative show pandas in inexpensive "trimetal" and in silver. In addition to the regular 1 oz (30 g versions), there was to be a piedfort (or piefort) version of the silver coin, but they were on backorder. A piedfort is supposed to be the same design and diameter, but twice the thickness and weight. I was put on the waiting list.

Yesterday, I was notified that the piedforts were available and would I like to buy one. I replied yes and asked them to send me payment details. Then I noticed that the coins weighed only 39 g. Further, some are offered in NGC slabs, and the slabs only state 39 g, but the word "piefort" is not there. NGC does put "piefort" on the label for coins that are the real thing. I canceled the order.

So if you're interested in one of these coins, be aware that it's 21g short of being are real piefort, and if it's certified, piefort won't be on the label.

link: http://www.pandaamerica.com/sresult.asp?keyword=denver&sortby=dateasc

Cal

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is my understanding that a piedfort does not necessarily have to be twice the weight though I do believe that it must be the same size.

Chris

4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

By the way, Chris, not to change the subject, but I do not recall if you ever mentioned what coins you like most. I speculate you like those Kennedy halves since your avatar shows one. Am I wrong?

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

By definition a Piefort is a coin struck with the normal dies on a thick planchet. Therefore it should weigh more! How much more? Looks like the Chinese have just skirted the norm for their American "suckers." Less silver = more profit.

@Daniel Jones :rolleyes:IMO, you :bucktooth: just screwed up the OP's thread. Perhaps you might edit your post above, leave a :) and send Chris a PM. :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I am glad to know that.

7. cpm9ball

And, you never have?;)

Don't worry! I'll answer DJ's question via PM.

Chris

8. Insider

cpm9ball, posted: And, you never have? ;)

Once, as an ignorant poster before I learned what a highjack was.

This stuff happens all the time. Mostly someone posts another coin to ask a personal question about an entirely different coin. That's a clear highjack by a new member and usually they receive a suggestion about their action. Others like to make a point about the OP's coin with an image of their own coin. in this case members start commenting on both coins. It can be confusing.

9. cpm9ball

I think we all have had our share of blunders.

Chris

Insider likes this.
  10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Well, apparently NGC thinks it should have been more because they didn't put piefort on the slab, whereas for coins that are twice as thick they do put piefort on the slab.

Cal

11. Insider

calcol, posted: "Well, apparently NGC thinks it should have been more because they didn't put piefort on the slab, whereas for coins that are twice as thick they do put piefort on the slab."

It is all about THICKNESS in weight. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted