ANA Convention Memorabilia

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Histman, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Hey there guys! Looking for your expertise on this subject. As a collector I am cursed with having an innate need to collect "everything" from a certain area. I can't just collect something because it looks cool or I like "that." This causes me a lot of heartache when I reach a point and realize I have no opportunity to complete some collection I've started. So, before I go down this road again, I want to ask about the ANA Conventions. I know they began in 1891 and have increased from one event to as many as three over the years. I have a couple of memorabilia items like the ones pictured below that I have purchased over time and it got me to wondering. Is there anything standard from these conventions that one could collect knowing that each gathering gave them out, sold them, or something like that? I know at my local show they give out an oversized wooden "coin" with the details stamped on it. Additionally, would there be a list of those items from the ANA somewhere? I have just begun my research into this and have been looking at some of the ANA Historical Sites and noticed everything from medals, to coin sets, to elongated pennies. Any help or direction in this area from our vaunted experts would be appreciated. I want to avoid the heartache again. :)

upload_2019-12-25_9-23-14.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The guy you want to talk to is @cpm9ball . He has a (nearly?) complete set of ANA medals.

4. Histman

5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

That could end up being a huge collection. I recently picked up this set because of the low mintage of 2000 sets.

upload_2019-12-25_13-53-56.jpeg upload_2019-12-25_13-54-16.jpeg

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Histman

What I have is a complete collection of the ANA 3-medal sets that were issued for the national conventions for the years 1969-1982. Those were the only years for which these 3-medal sets were made. Each of these sets includes a 38mm silver medal, a 38mm bronze medal and a 19mm bronze medal. You can view them at the link below.

The images were taken by one of our members, Bob Campbell aka @robec

http://www.robecsimages.com/chris.html

Chris

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

NICE !!! I love the old ships.

8. Histman

@cpm9ball

Thanks for the info. So I guess my next question(s) would be:

Are the three medal sets the only "official" item from those conventions, or is that even a thing?
    What replaced them as the official "item" going forward, if there was one?

You see where I'm getting lost in the weeds? Maybe I should just stick to my 1966 Circulated World Coins project instead. :)

9. Histman

Was this the "official" item from that convention or is this something you just chose to pick up?

10. cpm9ball

Here ya go!
    CSNA - REV.JPG
    DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE - REV.JPG
    LEE, NH - ANTIQUE SILVER.JPG
    Chris

Mojavedave likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

No. The ANA also issued single medals in addition to these sets, and they go back quite a long time before these were issued. I used to have a list of all the medals that were issued on behalf of the ANA, but I moved so many times that I can't remember where it is.

Here is another medal that I acquired for the 2004 ANA Convention in Pittsburgh, PA, but I don't know if it was authorized by the ANA since it is engraved and not a part of the design.

2004 ANA CONVENTION - REV.jpg
    2004 ANA CONVENTION - OBV.JPG
    Chris

12. cpm9ball

It appears that it was a "Show Special" produced by the Perth Mint, but not authorized by the ANA.

Chris

13. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I wasn’t sure but it wasn’t that expensive. I’ve had Chinese panda medals that I think were official but sold them a while ago.

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I know that this is a one/off, but it’s ANA Convention related and given to me by my Secret Santa:

4E038A75-C559-46C0-B316-FA85D63CA106.jpeg

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unfortunately the person you really needed to talk to dies about ten years ago, Don Young from Kentucky. He had one if not the largest collection known of ANA memorabilia. If it was related to the ANA he had it. Unfortunately I don't know what happened to his collection after he died. It might have been donated to the ANA and if so you might be able to find the information you seek through the ANA Library or the museum.

mikenoodle likes this.
  16. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There are many items issued for each convention.

Booklets showing dealers & ads.
    Convention auction books, usually at least one per convention, sometimes many

The badge 'hangers' for each year's addition, naming the year & city.

rolled coins.

Pins, and many other items.

Each year has something different.

18. Treashunt

Then, there the Red Book special editions.

IMG_1831.jpg

There are several from different conventions.
    This is just the one from last year's Chicago 'WFOM"

19. Treashunt

If you want to know all ANA issues & descriptions, let me know

20. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Good luck with your collection.
    Are you a member of the ANA? If so, you have access to the back issues of The Numismatist online. If you go online and look through the issues from 2-4 months before each convention you will see an article or a page giving information about the convention and typically offering pre-registration and a list of official souvenirs you can order, such as the medal sets.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

All issues of The Numismatist up through (I think 2002) are now available through the Newman Numismatic Portal free to all. Editions from 2003 onwards are still restricted to members through Money.org.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted