An upgraded labyrinth

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Jan 27, 2018.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

My general approach when buying coins has been to find examples that I don't feel I'll need to upgrade or that upgrading would be challenging.

However, sometimes opportunity comes knocking and a better example of a type that I thought I wouldn't be able to upgrade falls into my lap. In this circumstance, it was thanks to a solid relationship with a dealer I work with regularly. He held back a coin before the NYINC show for me to take a look at and upon seeing it, I had to have it.

As somewhat of a minimalist in my collecting focus, I find it very difficult to have two coins with the same overall iconography on them, even if both are nice. So, I'll be consigning my previous example to an auction, even though it's one of the nicer examples and I still really like it (especially for its ex-British Museum pedigree reaching back to the 1920s).

My previous coin is a drachm, weighing 5.4 grams, depicting the labyrinth at Knossos with an obverse of Hera:

Labyrinth.jpg

And my new coin is a stater, weighing 11.2 grams. The obverse was designed by a very talented engraver - I've envied this die since seeing it in the Boston MFA's example but never thought I'd have the opportunity to buy one as they simply don't come around. This coin has been off the market since the 1980s and there arguably hasn't been a comparable example in the interim:

Knossos2.jpg

Post coins you've already upgraded or any that you're planning on upgrading.

Pellinore, ro1974, I_v_a_n and 51 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Just WOW!

AncientJoe likes this.
  4. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

another WOW!

AncientJoe likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That’s a tremendous upgrade! The obverse of Hera is spectacular and both sides are so well-centered. What a dream that coin is.

AncientJoe and Roman Collector like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Stunning!

AncientJoe likes this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That's impressive, the artistic quality is amazing!

AncientJoe likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are fantastic coins, but your new coin is twice the coin of your original. Congratulations.

AncientJoe and coin_nut like this.
  10. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Both coins are amazing, but that second one is unbelievable!

Well done.

John

AncientJoe likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice upgrade! How many times have you traveled the Labyrinth?
    My upgrade is a modest RR coin. The before and after, and a bit of a write up:
    L.SAVF Orig obv.jpg L.SAVF Orig rev.jpg
    Before

L.SAVF Upgrade obv.jpg L.SAVF Upgrade rev.jpg
    After

I fell in love with this coin when I saw it. I was not looking to upgrade a coin I bought in 2011 and had to wait extra time while the MOU between the US and Italy went into effect. I eventually received the first coin. At the time, I did not have around 150 BC, so this one was a nice addition to my collection. The new one is about as high a grade I have in the series.

L.SAVF - Lucius Saufeius, Roman Republican Silver Denarius, 152 BC, Rome
    Obverse – Head of Roma R wearing a winged helmet decorated with a gryphon’s head; wearing ear rings with 3 drops, middle one is long and others are pellets; wearing necklace; hair in 3 locks; X behind head

Reverse – Victory, naked to hips, driving biga, horses galloping (or prancing), whip in R hand and reins in L hand, L.SAVF below (archaic style L), (VF in monogram), ROMA in partial linear frame at bottom of coin. The border for ROMA has been described as:
    · On tablet
    · In exergue
    · In linear frame
    · In linear frame in exergue
    · On raised tablet, in exergue
    I think there are two main styles here. Most coins have a partial linear frame (a box with two or three sides). I have seen none with a 4th side or a line below ROMA. Small flans or off center strikes cut off some or all of the two side lines. A few coins have just a long exergue line.

The Saufeia gens appears to be from Praeneste and is not mentioned before 100 BC. This moneyer issued silver (denarius) and bronze coins (As, Semis, Triens, Quadrans & Sextans).

Cr – 204/1
    BMCRR – 835 Gruber notes the two examples in his book have different ear rings: #835 (and mine) has ear rings with a longer center droplet, #834 has similar sized droplets.
    Sear – 83
    RSC/Bab – Saufeia 1
    Syd – 384
    RBW – 874
    Albert – 874
    NMW – 235 – 237
    NMCr – 44 – 45

Jwt708, dlhill132, TheRed and 20 others like this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

AncientJoe likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think @chrsmat71’s graphic says it all :D

Head-explodingly fabulous!

16. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Tiny coins do not draw the eye if they are not sharp and of good metal.

Before: selge-both.jpg

After: 180969.jpg

(Pasted as thumbnails to illustrate.)

17. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

That is more than a typical upgrade. Besides the tremendous jump in style and quality, you changed denominations also. The first is a daily driver Porsche Boxster, the second is more like a Ferrari 458.

Very, very, very nice.

18. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

@AncientJoe I fully appreciate your minimalist strategy - avoid repetition, maximize diversity in the trays, free-up resources for other types etc - but I'd hate to see you sell that lovely drachm, particularly with its exceptional pedigree! New coin is stunning.

AncientJoe, PlanoSteve and Carthago like this.
  19. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are any better Knossos Labyrinth drachms in existence? I've certainly never seen one. That coin dealer is certainly your friend!

On the topic of upgrades: Since my philosophy is similar to yours, I've only had one opportunity to upgrade:

First coin:

2b - Augustus AE sestertius old.jpg
    Upgrade:

2b - Augustus AE sestertius.jpg

chrsmat71, dlhill132, TheRed and 15 others like this.
  20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Very nice upgrade.. i will take your old coin off your hands.. to get it out of the way :rolleyes:

AncientJoe likes this.
  21. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I would have no problem owning both at the same time forever! Really, lovely coins!

AncientJoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted