An upgrade? You be the judge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by +VGO.DVCKS, Jan 13, 2021.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Some time between Christmas and New Years, I landed this on, wait for it, US ebay.
    COINS, JEAN DE BRIENNE 3, OBV..jpg
    COINS, JEAN DE BRIENNE 3, REV..jpg
    Frankish kingdom of Jerusalem. Denier of Jean de Brienne, King and regent, 1210-1212-1225. Temp. 5th Crusade, 1218-1221.
    Obv. Cross, annulets in two angles. +IOh[ann]ES: REX:
    Rev. Facing portrait, crowned; one annulet and two pellets in crown. +DAM[IA]TA. (Damietta, in the Nile delta, occupied by the 5th Crusade.)
    Malloy 43. Cf. Guy Perry, John of Brienne 109f., citing Metcalf, Coinage of the Crusades. For more context, historical and numismatic, see Metcalf, esp. 80-5; Malloy p. 61; Perry (97-)103-111.
    (...It's Really Fun that the rounded version of the capital letter "h," evoking the modern lower-case one, shows up as early as this. --Specifically in this medium; extant manuscripts are full of examples, back to the preceding century and earlier. But with medieval die engraving, there was frequently a technological lag, vaguely to either side of a century.)
    @seth77 did a remarkably thorough, well-documented thread on Jean de Brienne, years before I joined the forum. Replete with several valuable contributions from other members. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/je...d-finally-constantinople.364168/#post-4690549 .
    ...Oh, well; forging ahead, for this collection, these are the examples which that one complemented. They're all of the same, commonest type, as in Malloy, with minor variants. (Back to Metcalf, he lists more variants, inviting facile comparison to the dialectic between Poey d'Avant and Duplessy (...and Boudeau, numismatico-historiographically in between the two) for French feudal. ...Except that, methodologically, I still doubt that Malloy had anything on Metcalf.) This one, my second of the three, was via UKebay, from the numismatist Chris Sabine, extensively published, for one, in The Numismatic Chronicle. ...Yes, in that instance, the provenance was, as we say across the pond, about something.
    COINS, CRUSADES, JEAN DE BRIENNE2, OBV. (2).JPG
    COINS, CRUSADES, JEAN DE BRIENNE2, REV..JPG
    ...Before any of which, there was this example, that cost real money:
    COINS, CRUSADES, JEAN DE BRIENNE.jpg
    ...And here is when I'm supposed to ask people to post stuff, ostensibly according to, um, prefabricated criteria. ...Well, more like, Post Whatever is of relevance, according to, thank you, your own criteria. ...With the sole caveat that, the more you said about the latter, the more fun it would be.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Pellinore, ominus1, svessien and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Thats a great looking coin. I got one that looks like someone bit it in half.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks for that. More to the point, it would be great to see it! These are thin on the ground.

Everett Guy likes this.
  5. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

this was the one I had, alittle different after I seen it. 20210113_234948.jpg 20210113_235001.jpg 20210113_234935.jpg 20210113_234923.jpg 20210113_234902.jpg 20210113_234854.jpg 20210113_234841.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

Oooh, you were dead on not to have kept it. Congratulations! It's English, Edward I (1272-1307), the kind of silver penny he issued after 1279. Except, like that much of what there is on ebay, it was underattributed And overpriced.
    ...Thank you, at the same time, adding insult to injury. Where medieval coins are concerned, any time that, in place of a credible attribution, someone resorts to that kind of formula --"Crusader! Templar! Cross, Cross!"-- it's like, Take Cover. Because That Much seagull stuff is Landing on you.
    ...Given which, Congratulations on letting it go. --Worth saying again. In this case, as with the Roman stuff you've posted recently, your instincts continue to amaze. Carry on! :<}
    ...Oooh, No, now I don't know where I got the notion you'd sold it ...or, better, gotten a refund. Wishful thinking, I guess. But at $50, it was a cheap learning experience. --Been there, done that! It's integral to the process.
    Meantime, if you wanted a silver penny of Edward I, you could find decent ones at twice the sticker price of this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted