An unusual love story - Antinous

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Roman Empire. Bythinia, Turkey.

Antinous. AE medallion of Kios. AD130. Rare.

Obv: A beautiful bust of Antinous "Antinoos Pani"

Rev: Horse standing right.

Antinous of Bythinia was a Bythinian Greek youth born during the reign of Emperor Hadrian of Rome. He became a favorite and lover of the Emperor Hadrian and accompanied him during his adolescent years until his mysterious death at the young age of around 19 to 20 during Hadrians visit to Nile River in Egypt. Though same sex relationships were not uncommon back then amongst the Roman society, it was Hadrian's extraordinary obsession and devotion to Antinous that marked him as one of history's most iconic characters.

Such was Hadrian's love was upon upon knowledge of Antinous' death, he mourned and wailed unconsolably. He immediately had Antinous deified and established a cult around him that remarkably survived way past Hadrian's death. A city was ordered to be built on the site of his death Antinoopolis which survived for centuries and many classical statues, coins and some medallions were minted in his image and name. Whilst deification was not unknown in classical times, it was the first that such a scale was bestowed outside of the Imperial Family or heroes. Even more so for a commoner youth like Antinous.

The various surviving statues and artifacts of Antinous remained one of the most iconic heritages of the Classical age. Numerous depictions in art and literature had been dedicated in his image even through the early modern times.

20161125_182757.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic coin, congratulations! I am very envious and I'm sure CT's favorite Hadrian enthusiast, @Okidoki, will be too :D

At the moment I only have a lead tessera of Antinous.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Antinoöpolis. Antinous
    2nd-3rd centuries CE
    PB tessera, 25 mm, 7.63 gm, 11h
    Obv: draped bust of Antinous right, wearing hem-hem crown; crescent before, AN behind
    Rev: Serapis standing right, head left, raising hand and holding scepter; to left, ЄYC/YBA/[...]
    Ref: Peus 386 (26 April 2006), lot 759 (same dies); Milne –; Dattari (Savio) –; Köln –

4. Loong Siew

Thank you @TIF .. Lovely tessera by the way for yours as well. Medallions and coins of Antinous are rare and unusual... particularly in the arts he is an iconic feature

TIF likes this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow! That is one of the few coins outside my collecting niche I would love to have. Just amazing!

One of my favourite books is Beloved and God by Royston Lambert, a fantastic look at the relationship between the young Antinous and Hadrian.

Mikey Zee and Loong Siew like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Loong Siew likes this.
  7. Loong Siew

Thanks.. unlike many other deified Roman individuals, it is uncanny that Antinous' appeal and cult lasted for generations. Even during the renaissance despite the church's obvious condemnation of pagan and LGBT connotations, Antinous was pretty well accepted among high art

Paul M. and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. Loong Siew

Hadrian even named a constellation in Antinous name which surprisingly lasted even up to pre modern times.. not bad for just a simple Boy

Paul M. likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I think you would love the Lambert book. ;)

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Loong Siew

Maybe will check it out next time I get a chance to seek it out in the library.. :pompous::joyful:

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Incredible example!! A type I'll probably never have...

I'm going to have to read the book that David suggested as well. I just can't understand how any cult of this 'common' lover of Hadrian persisted beyond his death and for generations (centuries?) thereafter.

Loong Siew likes this.
  12. Loong Siew

Perhaps much supported by his appeal, youth and tragic ending.. based on existing artistic depictions of him in museums and churches, he does have an unnatural beauty that can easily be associated by the masses with divinity...

13. Loong Siew

In fact I doubt the relationship between Hadrian and Antinous is anything but that of a "common" lover.. he was literally devastated by his death and it seemingly had a lasting impact on him to his death...

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes:Sorry, I didn't post clearly:oops::sorry:

I meant a 'common man' who was his lover not a common relationship...

Loong Siew likes this.
  15. Loong Siew

Haha.. yeah..

16. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I bought Beloved and God on the strength of this post, I haven't started it yet. I can also recommend "Following Hadrian" by Elizabeth Speller. It contains excerpts from the memoires of Julia Balbilla who was a companion to Sabina.

Edit: Fabulous coin OP, I have to make do with a tessera.

David Atherton and Loong Siew like this.
  17. Loong Siew

Thanks you.. I will be checking out Beloved and God as David recommended.. read some reviews online.. great reviews

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i actually said "oh wow" when i saw the pic, it's a beautiful coin. it's an amazing story as well isn't it?

Loong Siew likes this.
  19. Loong Siew

Thanks.. you should read about the story as well. David's recommended book is good.. also plenty of materials regarding their relationship as well. Though married to Sabina, Hadrian apparently was not too happy with his marriage. Antinous became his devoted favorite and unlike many others in history, there were no evidence to indicate that he harbored any ambitions or benefited from his closeness with the Emperor. Some theories brought forth even suggested he sacrificed himself to the River Nile to deter misfortune on Hadrian. All too atypical of a romance except that the characters involved were them 2.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, Long-S ... I kinda suck at thread rules

But TIF already posted one of her amzing PB tessera examples, so I kinda thought that maybe I could post my cool examples as well?

... eh-heh-heh, thanks dawg ...

PB Tessera

Tessera Egypt Serapis and Griffin.jpg Asia Minor Ionia Ant.jpg

... man, how fricken cool are those, eh?

Paul M., Carthago, Eduard and 10 others like this.
  21. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

hoho Lead rocking

Loong Siew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted