An unexpected treat in a garbage lot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

When bidding on an auction that charges an arm and a leg for shipping (i.e. most auction houses), if I win an individual coin, I will often flip to the bulk lots section and throw out a bunch of lowball bids for stuff I think I could maybe use to offset the individual purchase.

In this case, it was a medium sized lot of "problem" medieval silver coins - worn, chipped, holed coins ranging from the early Abbasid caliphate to the early 17th century Europe. I immediately recognized this one when it clinked out of the bag

Carolingian Empire
    Charles III "le Simple", 898-922
    AR Denier 21mm, 0.92g
    Metalo (Melle) mint

Obv: + CARLVS REX R around cross
    Rev: MET / ALo
    Carolingian France Charles the Simple CARLVS REX R METALO.jpg

From what I can tell, I don't see any reason to doubt the authenticity of this coin, as I trust the seller (Nomos). Thoughts are very much appreciated however - Medieval Europe is still very much new territory for me!

Any other examples out there, let's see them!

Pellinore, Ajax, BenSi and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow, that's a great find, especially for a mixed lot find.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first Carolingian! Though several users (e.g. @Orielensis, @AnYangMan, @seth77) know way more about Medieval than I do, I believe it's an immobilized type (i.e. minted posthumously), minted up until the 10th-11th century.

Similar coins (with the "o" of MET/ALO in subscript):
    upload_2020-2-11_14-53-50.png
    upload_2020-2-11_14-54-5.png
    upload_2020-2-11_14-54-23.png
    upload_2020-2-11_14-54-59.png

And, also, my own Carolingians:
    [11121] Lotharius - Bourges, France (AR Denier, 954-986 (or until ~1050)).jpg CAROLINGIAN, Lotharius. Denomination: AR Denier, minted: Bourges, France; 954-986 (or until ~1050)
    Obv: +BITVRICES CIVITAS Tetrastyle temple, with cross on top. Inside, small cross.
    Rev: + LOTERIVS REX, cross within dotted border, outside, dotted border
    Weight: 1.19g; Ø:19mm. Catalogue: TTB. Nou.7-Prou.755. Provenance: Found near Amiens, France; acq.: 01-2020
    Minted on a relatively small flan, small portion with weak strike
    [11122] Charles le Simple - Melle, France (AR Obole, 898-922 (or ~ 1100)).jpg
    CAROLINGIAN, Charles le Simple. Denomination: AR Obole (immobilized), minted: Melle, France; 898-922 (or ~ 1100)
    Obv: + CΛROLV(retrograde S) RE+ R, cross pattée
    Rev: MET/ΛLO in two lines
    Weight: 0.65g; Ø:16mm. Catalogue: Depeyrot 629 var. (obv. legend); M&G –; MEC –; Fécamp 8381-7. Provenance: Found near Amiens, France; acq.: 01-2020
    Some green deposits, struck on good metal, nicely toned with original luster remaining
    [11123] Charles II le Chauve - Le Mans, France (AR Denier, 834-877).jpg
    CAROLINGIAN, Charles II le Chauve. Denomination: AR Denier, minted: Le Mans, France; 834-877
    Obv: + GRATIA D-I REX, monogram
    Rev: + CINOMANIS CIVITAS, cross in the middle
    Weight: 1.69g; Ø:19mm. Catalogue: Nou.146c-Dep.559-Prou.420. Provenance: Found near Amiens, France; acq.: 01-2020
    Beautiful example, wonderful and pleasant toning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This coin is a good example of conventions getting in the way of clarity. It's an immobilise naming a Carolingian ruler minted well into the feudal age as local currency. So which is it -- Carolingian or feudal (local/provincial)? It's likely both.

Finn235 and Orielensis like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting coins. At some point I need to branch out into Medieval (outside of Byzantine that is).

Finn235 likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Very cool coins, @Roerbakmix

Interesting that this is one of the types that got frozen in time. Frozen types are certainly nothing new to my collection - you've got Alexander coinage, barbarous Tetricus radiates, medieval silk road imitations of ancient Greek coins, Peroz, Hormizd IV, and Khusro II imitations, Kai Yuan, Kanei Tsuho, and heck even the US 1964 coinage was frozen in place until '66 to mask the true extent of the coin shortage!

Something about repeating history?

Draft saved Draft deleted