An odd 1958 D Wheat Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Julia_Alexis, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Julia_Alexis

Julia_Alexis New Member

Hi all, I was going through some pennies I picked up at an estate sale. Found this odd one and didn't know if the three was a misprint (accidentally stamped) into the C in Cent or if it was just a strange accident from living its life... It's a 1958 D Wheat Penny.

Just wondering it's worth and thoughts on the "3" .... Also, please forgive me if this was posted in the wrong place ( as this is my first post ).. Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Welcome, Julia!

Unfortunately, that is just damage done to the coin at some point after it came out of the mint. Many of the members will tell you it is PMD = Post Mint Damage. On a good day, you might get two cents for it.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

The issue with the "3" in PMD, post mint damage. The second issue appears to be glue residue, but could be a lamination problem.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard The CT Train, Julia. Make sure you keep your head inside the window because the proximity of trains passing in the opposite direction is minimal. :)

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT Julia. It appears to just be PMD, Post Mint Damage, meaning it happened after it left the mint. Hard to tell but looks like environmental damage looking at the discoloration on the coin.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  7. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Welcome to CT! Looks to me like something hit the back of the C and moved the metal in two small areas forming the 3. Definitely not a mint error but interesting!

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  8. Julia_Alexis

Julia_Alexis New Member

Thanks so much for all of the quick replies, tips and greetings. Into the lucky pocket penny pile it goes... :joyful: Excited to be here -- and to learn.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That old cent has been glued into somebody’s collection/display. A soak in acetone may remove that adhesive residue.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I was "minted" the same year as that cent. While it's had a hard life, it looks better for its age than I do.

I'll bet it cleans up better too.

Z

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Welcome! Estate sales are tricky, most of the time low quality coins, and some of the folks running those have been known to add low quality inventory to the sale...

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  12. kn0

kn0 New Member

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely damaged. It’s called PMD or Post Mint Damage which means it was damaged after it left the mint.

Welcome to CT.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
  14. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. A wealth of information where every time you log in you learn.

Julia_Alexis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted