An object lesson in numismatic precision

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SuperDave, Feb 3, 2017.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It was a good chance to, ahem, polish my slab refinishing skills. And being Green Beaned, I didn't want to risk somehow losing the sticker, which formed part of the reason I was willing to purchase this particular coin.

I'm 85% complete on the restoration, but these new PCGS slabs are tough. So when they do mark, it's not easy to remove. Some 2000 grit should heal it, though.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IIRC Dave, if it is merely re-holdered by PCGS, CAC will re-bean it

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

When PCGS re-holders a coin do they give it the same verification number? I always presumed they did. If so, I'd imagine CAC would re-sticker it in a heartbeat.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yes. Coin retains the same number on a simple reholder. And CAC will resticker a reholdered coin with the same number or if the sticker is damaged for a small fee, I think $5 without checking the site.

Oldrdawg and Paul M. like this.
  6. SuperDave

Oh, I well know that, but I'm at a level of paranoia with this coin which which would probably establish new records if it were measurable. :)

Something would screw up, PCGS would return the coin with a new Cert, and I would resubmit it to CAC and they'd deny it. :p

There are about 30 of these between PCGS and NGC, and CAC has only beaned 7, none new in at least the last 18 months.

Kentucky, mikenoodle and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

... which means, if Salzberg is correct, Katie bar the door, the hundreds are coming as we type. :watching::D

Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Take it to a show so you can sit and watch them...or send it to me and I'll take it for you :)

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Subscription lapsed. Now gold and silver don't matter at all.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Still not overrated like the Morgan.

11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

You know, they do make up half of the coins you find at shows...

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Exactly! The quintessential example of "marketing" (including the VAM phenomenon) creating demand to counterbalance a ridiculous oversupply of high quality coins. Without hardcore marketing, Morgans would be a ho-hum series.

Am I saying you shouldn't collect them? Heck no, collect what you like. I'm saying it makes no logical sense to me.

13. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I know, has nothing to do with the beautiful and artistic design. The amount of silver they contain or the fascinating story of the comstocke load and how they came about:banghead:

Yeezus, you people have tunnel vision:facepalm:

Paul M. likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

And the Comstock Lode had WHAT to do with Philly and New Orleans Morgans?

15. SuperDave

You mean, besides supplying the silver they were minted from, by law (along with other Western silver mines)?

16. V. Kurt Bellman

For what? So they could sit in canvas for 80 years? Comstock was only marginally about San Francisco Morgans. They were all about Carson City, to the point Carson City was closed when Comstock ran out. Do you REALLY want to suggest there was no silver before Comstock? Seriously? C'mon. There WAS NO DEMAND in the east for those rotten coins. Nobody wanted the stupid things.

The Bland-Allison Act is one of the all-time stupidest laws in history possibly only surpassed by the Pittman. Bland-Allison made the useless glut of silver an artificially priced quasi-asset and sent the bill to the country at large.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Paul M. likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Silver - Being Artificially Pumped Up in Value Since 1878.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I feel like I should be ratting you out, but I can't decide if it's Religion or Politics. And the rules don't say anything about Common Sense. ;)

Paul M. likes this.
  19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Lee Travino.gif

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

heavycam.monstervam and jtlee321 like this.
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ehhhh, not much reason to really - since it seems most people refuse to ever listen to it :D

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted