An object lesson in numismatic precision

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SuperDave, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually it has. If the Morgans had a survival rate anything like the other coins of their era you would be paying a LOT more for them. The only reason they are as high as they are is because so many people collect them because they are common and cheap.

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly into them, although I do own a few. One I snagged just because it came with an ANACS photo cert from the 80s. I don't care too much about the coin, but the cert is a neat item, IMO. I have a couple rainbow toners because who doesn't like pretty colors, right? :p (Just kidding of course.) And, of course, I have a few Dan Carr overstrikes, but we're not going to dwell on those here. ;) But, by and large, I don't collect them because the key dates are just too expensive, and I'm not head over heels in love with VAMs, either.

If every single Morgan dollar on the planet were to go poof tomorrow, numismatics would be just fine. I suspect Indian head cents would fill the gap for a lot of folks, and some would go with Peace dollars or Lincoln cents.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

VAMs are merely a desperate attempt to make a boring and unimportant series more interesting.

Johndoe2000$, Blissskr and Michael K like this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That's it Kurt. You, me, Thunderdome, NOW old man! :p

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

May i ask what you collect Kurt? So we can all judge if your coin/coins of choice are more important / less boring

Oldrdawg likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

Anything not gold or a Morgan. Mostly nickels and quarters. You know, coins actually important to their era's actual commerce. That's as opposed to some crap that laid around in canvas bags for multiple decades.

You can easily discern an important series. It's a series in which most surviving coins are worn flat.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. heavycam.monstervam

Just because a coin is worn flat doesnt mean it has seen more circulation. Many factors come into play here, the metal composition/size/design for starters, not to mention what stuff cost back then.
    Ive seen plenty of worn Morgan Dollars, most notably at Flea Markets and Meltdown shops. You dont see many at coin shows because they are all tucked away inside a bag or box, unless its a key date. Its true that we wouldnt get many NEW collectors in the hobby if it werent for Morgans either. Noones jumping into coin collecting looking for nickels . They are going after the big hunks of silver my friend, which makes Morgans a very very important part of the hobby we love.
    I already know this is a pointless rebuttal, arguing w a lawyer is like trying to sell a bible to the devil:troll:

Johndoe2000$ and Oldrdawg like this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Morgans were the main coin of commerce for one of the best, if not the best, periods in American history.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

I missed out on the 1961 Morgan. Oh, Morgans were never the main coin of commerce ANYWHERE that matters.

11. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Too many Morgans out there? That's like being too rich or too good looking. I think it's funny that people feel sooo strongly about what other collectors are collecting and/or they feel superior because of what they collect. My coin can beat your coin up? My coin s bigger than yours? I guess we can't all collect gold proof pattern coins, so thank goodness there are others to fall back on.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Sure, relatively noones (sic) jumping into coin collecting at all. There are silver speculators by the gazillion reading idiot Austrian economics websites and bullion marketing sites and other garbage rushing in to bid up Morgans to unrealistic levels. Many of them can't tell a Morgan from an ASE.

True "coin collectors" don't give a rip how large a coin is or what it's made of. It's all about the history. "History you can hold in your hands."

13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I can see not liking a Morgan Dollar and deciding to not collect them, but attacking other's who collect them by calling them unimportant is just plain ignorant.

@V. Kurt Bellman you talk about collecting coins for their history, no other coin minted by the United States has a richer history than the Morgan Dollar. To ignore that show's the true breadth of your numismatic knowledge. While it's true that a vast majority of them sat around in bags not being used, that does not discount their importance and role they played in the history of the American West. Where do you think all that silver came from? People making a living working in a mine. Mines that brought a lot of technological innovations. The quintessential American Dream. To call that unimportant is un-American.

I find Liberty Nickels very boring, but I'm not about to call them unimportant and make an argument regarding my feelings of that, that's just foolish. I can tell a lot about you and the way you think by your brief statement's of intolerance.

If this post goes poof and only a few people get to read it, I will be satisfied. I'm not going to sit idly by and be forced to accept your opinion. You've given your opinion and you keep arguing it as if you are going to change people's mind. Your running a fools errand and you would be better off just leaving this thread, rather than pursuing your ignorant personal crusade against the Morgan Dollar.

Endeavor, cpm9ball, rooman9 and 5 others like this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Feel better now?

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

LOL. Sorry, I'm sometimes like our local volcano Mount St. Helen's, I need to release some some steam every once in a while. Then people can start to climb all over me again. ;):rolleyes:

Endeavor, Johndoe2000$ and Kentucky like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, me too

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  17. heavycam.monstervam

Here Here !!!!

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Haven't you realized yet? Kurt hates everything. :p

There is not a shred of malice or personal attack in his intent. He just states his opinion graphically and usually with abnormal eloquence, and it's offered as his opinion only. The moment I realized it was completely impersonal on his part is when we started getting along, and I don't see us not getting along ever again.

19. heavycam.monstervam

To sum up Superdaves post-
    joanie loves chachi:wacky:

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Remember what started this little rift, folks. @heavycam.monstervam and his minions took it upon themselves to belittle @SuperDave 'S choice of a "kiddie coin" mere Lincoln as his choice of a coin for which he sacrificed for months. I merely fired back over the undeserved worship that remnant of political ill-doing, the Morgan dollar, receives. I also refuse to agree to the significance of the overly romanticized "American West" era. I find I no more worthy of admiration than Chicago's current gang violence, with which it shares more than a passing similarity.

I enjoy our western scenery, but not its violent history.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

And I know all I need to know about you from observing your inability to discern the textual difference between a plural and a possessive.

micbraun and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted