An object lesson in numismatic precision

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SuperDave, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Blasphemy!

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yep. Fightin' words. :p

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

As opposed to the Lincoln penny, everyone's favorite "kiddie coin"?

<ducks>

Paul M. likes this.
  5. SuperDave

Careful there - I'm now collecting those from two different countries. :)

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Then sign me up as a blasphemer. I almost don't consider Morgan dollars to be "real coins".

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Gentlemen (and Ladies), is there really a need to fight among ourselves about which coin is better? Can't we debate over something less divisive like politics or religion?

8. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Lincolns RULE

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Continentals are good.

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You all better get on board and bow down to KING Morgan! ;)

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pffftt ! Ya know why so many collect Lincolns and Morgans ? It's because there's so danged many of them out there that literally everybody can have them ! Look up the phrase common as dirt and you'll see Lincolns and Morgans prominently pictured :D

Now if ya wanna talk about coins that are exciting for a multitude of reasons - everybody knows it's ducats ;)

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm having my own irritation with the postal service. I'm getting a major purchase -- although not as major as Dave's -- via registered mail. Tracking shows it left the major post office en route to my rural office 24 hours ago. That's a grand total of about 20 miles. It hasn't been scanned since then.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Let me go ahead and anger everyone. I think Morgans and Lincolns are a complete snooze fest.

However, the more people that collect them, the less competition I have so keep buying them.

Endeavor and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I agree, Franklins are just so much more rare than Morgans. (And highly sought after too) NOT! :vamp:

Side note: I still have that Rainbow rim toned Franklin (ACG) you sold me. I do sorta cherish it & will no doubt keep it unless i find an upgrade which is kinda doubtful because im cheap and nicely toned Franklins ARE pretty hard to come by unless you pay a very hefty premium. So thx again;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Although nicely toned Franklin's are bringing good money right now. Be on the lookout for them on the cheap at shows and LCS's to flip!

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It's interesting how Morgans seldom get a reaction of "oh, they're OK" or "I can take em or leave em." Seems like people either love them or hate them.

17. SuperDave

I don't care either way when it boils down to it. My 10 most recent purchases have encompassed six denominations and three different countries of origin, and dates beginning with 17, 18 and 19. It's all good. :)

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The problem I have with the Morgans, were when millions of them were released,
    the glut should bring the price down, but it hasn't. Any coin show I go to, every table is just filled with mint state Morgans, they just don't seem very rare to me.
    I have some that were handed down and are uncleaned. Among them an 1886-O.

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

My only problem with Morgan Dollars is that I don't have enough of them.

20. SuperDave

The math is simple. Price = supply/demand. Morgans - big honkin' cartwheels of silver capable of personal injury via gravity (as a CT member testifies in another active thread) - have appeal to a large and varied cross section of the collector demographic. Among those with greater levels of disposable income, they represent the driving force behind the success of the numismatic economy, helping to sustain a large spectrum of dealers and second-tier economy.

Morgans are important to numismatics, and that's because they're so available. There's enough so that everyone who wants to collect them can do so, and demand holds their price up very nicely, thank you. :)

There is no single issue more important to the hobby we all love.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One that people never liked and doesn't exist any more and one that we should get rid of.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted