An Interesting Trajan Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Evan8, May 13, 2019.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I haven't posted an ancient in awhile and just stumbled upon this one the other day. I was searching US Coin Auctions on Ebay and came across this listing where the seller was offering what they thought to be an 18th century US large cent. Even with how worn it is, even I could tell that wasnt the case. It appeared to be a bronze coin of Trajan. And based on the weight from the seller it seemed to be a sestertius. So naturally I placed a bid seeing how it was in the wrong category and I most likely wasnt going to receive much competition in the listing's last 30 min. I won the auction and coin for a whopping $13 shipped.

Now while it is really worn, I think I have it attributed about as close as you can get with the help from ERIC II. Although the coin is not shown in Wildwinds, I'm not sure the reference numbers are correct. Wildwinds does show a dupondius and aureus with this reverse type. ERIC II does have a listing for a sestertius with this reverse type so that is the information I will be using.

The reverse type appears to be a standing Trajan and a kneeling Italia, with REST ITAL or REST ITALIA in the exergue, but no way of knowing for sure. So here is what I have:

2019-05-13-10-29-08.jpg
    2019-05-13-10-29-48.jpg

TRAJAN
    AE Sestertius
    Rome
    Laureate head of Trajan bust right. IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TR P COS V PP
    Trajan standing left on right, shaking hands with kneeling Italia and two children to left. SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI. REST ITAL(or ITALIA) in ex.
    20.93 grams, 33mm
    This coin is listed in ERIC II as either RIC II 472 or RIC II 473 depending on what the exergue says.

Let me know if you see something wrong in my attribution, otherwise post your heavily worn ancients.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Not too bad for a purchase at 13 dollars shipped.

TIF and Evan8 like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool find :)

Evan8 likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Good eye, bargain a piece of history cheap.

Evan8 and 7Calbrey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted